Second Skin Audio

How to Design Your Box in Google Sketchup!

CarAudioFab

Here you go guys let me know what you think!

What is Google Sketchup?

Sketchup is a free 3d modeling program that is made by Google. It is used around the world for its ease of use and accurate function.

Where do I get it?

Right here: http://sketchup.google.com/download/ Download the basic version.

What is the advantage?

You can basically "build" your box before you make a single cut! Get an idea what it will look like, even lay out all the boards to make sure you get the most use out of a sheet!

How do I use it?

Watch my video below!

If there is any additional information or questions please let me know!

Here is a follow up video showing how to create more intricate Kerf geometry.

-Mark

Host of "CarAudioFabrication" - YouTube Car Audio Tutorial Channel

Forum.png

Check out my forum section here on SMD for my builds and tutorial videos!

Subscribe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/CarAudioFabrication

Hey man I actually saw your videos on youtube before I saw them on here. I've been trying to design a box for a single ported SA-12 behind my driver's seat in my king cab truck. Been messing with torres and winisd and sketchup trying to get a design. I got the basic design for the outside dimensions. Don't have enough space for slot ports so Ive been messing with aero ports but no matter what I cant get enough port area for my design. I can tune it with a 4" aero but only can get about 7 in squared of port area and get a rear air port velocity of like 200+ or something crazy haha.

Anyways sorry to thread jack. Maybe you could do a small video about building an aeroport box.

I have to say thanks though. I watched your videos and it gave me a better understanding of a lot of stuff. Im very computer smart but never used sketchup before and was able to do a lot just off your videos.

This is my basic design I was able to come up with. Going to have to be reworked some though and figure out the port area issue.

Thanks man!

WedgeBoxbuild.jpg

And this is my old sealed box/ space i have to work with. Going to remove that jump seat to get more room. Really tricky design though for me.

Sub1DSC_0810.jpg

again sorry for thread jacking, but wanted to say thanks as well.

So glad to hear it helped you and thank you for posting the pics. I think if you downfired the sub and relocated the port you would have better results. This way you would have room to relocate the port and make it more surface area but at the same time have room for the extra needed length.

-Mark

Host of "CarAudioFabrication" - YouTube Car Audio Tutorial Channel

Forum.png

Check out my forum section here on SMD for my builds and tutorial videos!

Subscribe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/CarAudioFabrication

Archived