help with computer build ... been out of the game to long

Assuming you're playing at 1080, you really don't need more than a 660, though I can understand if you'd want more power "just because". Unless you're playing on three screens or at higher than 1080, go for the 670 instead of the 680. That's an extra $100 for a difference in gameplay you will almost never notice. I'll save the rant on "future-proof," and only say spend the minimum amount to get the performance you need now.

As far as RAM goes, 1155 doesn't care much about memory speeds. Buy DDR3-1600 at 1.5v or lower and be happy. I personally like Samsung's 30nm RAM. I'm not a fan of the huge heatsink look, and it will always blend in with whatever color combination you choose.

That motherboard is likely more than you need, but it is a very good choice. If I could bring myself to drop $200+ on a motherboard I'd buy that one, and I barely even OC.

With the way SSD pricing has been in the past couple weeks/months, I'd wait until a deal came along on a top tier SSD. 120 GB SSDs are commonly in the $80 range, with 256s going in the 140-150 range. That decision is yours.

I'll save you a bit of headache: Skip the 1200. I have the DF-85 with is pretty much the same case and it is a PITA to build in. If you want to stay Antec, get the Eleven Hundred. FAR easier case to build inside of, and its cheaper to boot. Just buy it from Amazon. You'll get free shipping there, while Newegg will charge shipping.

My vote.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

You'd be surprised how much GPU power some games today require. Haha. BF3 on totally maxed out settings for a steady 60fps requires two gtx 580s and 4gb of VRAM. And with Unreal 4 about to get off the ground, it's going to start getting even crazier.

Also +1 for the case idea. I personally like my HAF 932. I've built pc's for friends and family using the HAF X, HAF 932, Rosewill Thor V2, and NZXT Phantom. And I've really loved all of them. All really easy to work in.

As far as the "huge heatsink", it's huge for a reason, not for the look. I've personally ran that heatsink, and it's in the top 3 for Air cooling. And the top 10 are all huge like that. You can swap the fans on that particular heatsink as well if you don't like the color of the fans. And it's dead quiet. Around 19 dBs.

And yes I know the "Future-proof" thing doesn't make it future-proof. It will make it keep up with the times easier, yes. But it wont last forever, nothing like this does, haha. Only way it would be outdated within a year or 2 is in the sense of DirectX.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

You'd be surprised how much GPU power some games today require. Haha. BF3 on totally maxed out settings for a steady 60fps requires two gtx 580s and 4gb of VRAM. And with Unreal 4 about to get off the ground, it's going to start getting even crazier.

While partially true, I'm running a 670 at 2560 x 1440 and maintain 50+ by only lowering the amount of AA. I'm only using FXAA. In actual gameplay, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. And if this guy really only plans to play WoW, again, he only "needs" a 660.

At 1080 with the 670 I was easily maintaining 60+ fps with 4x AA. Even the 560Ti 448 could handle 1080 minus AA at 50+ fps.

As far as the "huge heatsink", it's huge for a reason, not for the look. I've personally ran that heatsink, and it's in the top 3 for Air cooling. And the top 10 are all huge like that. You can swap the fans on that particular heatsink as well if you don't like the color of the fans. And it's dead quiet. Around 19 dBs.

Even so, the loudest thing inside the case is almost always going to be the graphics card, especially if you're using a blower-style cooler. I was referring the the RAM btw.

And yes I know the "Future-proof" thing doesn't make it future-proof. It will make it keep up with the times easier, yes. But it wont last forever, nothing like this does, haha. Only way it would be outdated within a year or 2 is in the sense of DirectX.

On the other hand, in two years for ~$200 you will be able to buy a card that outperforms the 680 (see 480 vs 660). Ten minutes of work and you've better futureproofed yourself than someone that's spent greater amounts of money on a single card. Buy the hardware you need now because you'll be able to buy faster for cheaper in the future.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Well then he can settle for a Coolermaster Hyper 212+, but if he did, then he should go for the 3570k. Unless there's something totally illogical about that as well.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

Well then he can settle for a Coolermaster Hyper 212+, but if he did, then he should go for the 3570k. Unless there's something totally illogical about that as well.

3570k is more expensive. 2500k will normally/easily overclock to 4.7 (my mistake, 4.5) on a 212+. I know people have been improving the 3570k OCs, but even still I'm not sure you could push the same kind of clockspeeds. At stock clocks/minor OC I'd go 3570k. If you're trying to push higher I'd take the 2500k. I just wouldn't spend the extra ~$60 for possibly an extra 300 MHz overclock. The performance difference, especially in gaming, isn't going to be that great.

Either way, its going to be way more processor than he "needs," even at stock clocks.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504&Tpk=3570k

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072&name=Processors-Desktops

So more expensive, by a factor of $10. Okay.

And I'm guessing he won't overclock much. And it's only a hyper212 anyways. So I say 3570k. And I think he would need all he can get out of a CPU. Especially in WoW. I play it as well and I have a 2500k at 5.2ghz and in Orgrimmar at peak hours, I drop to 40-45fps.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

$10 that could be spent on something useful. Just because he has $1500 to toss at the problem doesn't mean you have to use all the budget.

And I'm guessing he won't overclock much. And it's only a hyper212 anyways. So I say 3570k. And I think he would need all he can get out of a CPU. Especially in WoW. I play it as well and I have a 2500k at 5.2ghz and in Orgrimmar at peak hours, I drop to 40-45fps.

I woudn't say with 100% accuracy that's the problem. At peak hours in Stormwind I'm pulling about the same on a 2105 at what is likely a higher resolution.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

$10 that could be spent on something useful. Just because he has $1500 to toss at the problem doesn't mean you have to use all the budget.

I woudn't say with 100% accuracy that's the problem. At peak hours in Stormwind I'm pulling about the same on a 2105 at what is likely a higher resolution.

$10.. Now you're just splitting hairs. You already dumbed down the GPU. And I was even under the budget with the build I put together by a factor of $80. Just let it be, you're trying to 1-up me on everything I've said here.

And I would say that's a good load of the problem. And I'm at 1920x1200, 8gb of 1600mhz 8-8-8-20 timing. ASRock P67 Fatal1ty Performance. Mushkin Chronos 120gb SSD. And a GTX 660ti. Rest of the problem could be that my server is ridiculously populated.

But, I am inferior to your omnipotence. So you can help him out. Don't want to derail any further.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

I don't know computers too well and I'm not trying to derail this thread, I just wanna say I got my current desktop from cyberpower pc. It was pretty simple picking from everything they offered and having them build it for me. I spent $1600 and its handles WoW, Diablo and Skyrim with ease on my 30" LCD as my monitor

Ya'll motherfuckers are putting a Sandy Bridge CPU with a Z77 motherboard? Going Sandy Bridge to save a few bucks and then getting a $240 motherboard you won't even use all the features of? What the fuck is this?

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Archived