Sonic Electronix

Advice On Alternator Wiring

hello there (Y)

Right then i have ordered a 140 amp alternator for my car.....that is like the most powerful one i can get made for my car, i will be running about 500-1000rms so that alt is plenty. My question is when i fit it i want to upgrade the wire from the alt to battery, i will use some 0-guage. but i am not sure if i will need a fuse of some sort or anything? i had a quick look around under the bonnet the other day and i saw a bunch of fuses that were 30amp and/or 60amp. will they be good enough or do i need higher amp one's? i have a stock battery that is 45AH if that is useful :)

Thanks a lot guys :)

Ben.

*Alpine Typr-R 12"

*JBL GTO 1200.1 Sub Amp

*Alpine PDX-4.100

*Rockford Fosgate Power 6.5's

*Rockford Fosgate Fanatics 6.5's Both in front doors

*0/1 Guage wiring from front Junction Boxes to 120AH Battery In Boot (battery removed because too small for alternator)

*140 Amp HO Alternator

*Alpine Head Unit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------x------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would just use a 250 amp fuse im sure that it would never pull any thing more than 150 but to be on the safe side just go with a 250 to be honest i don't think you actually have to have one with 0 gauge could be wrong but ive done a few with out fuses and they have all been fine

yea i dont have a fuse on mine, just used some nice connectors on it, and ran it in a spot where it wont get hot or posibbly cut to ground out. Just be carefull when your running the wire. may also want to use some of that 0 to run a new ground. take it from the negitive from the battery and clean up a spot on the frame to attach it to. That will help alot also.

03 Trailblazer EXT LT

In Dash

Rear Flip Down

Polk Audio Font & Rear Stage

Hifonics Zeus 4 Chan Amp

Hifonics Brutus Mono Amp

12" Rockford Fosgate Power HX2

T-Line tuned to 45hz

18"BTL T-line @31Hz (9 weeks pregnant)

Archived