Need rear stage in 03 jetta, pics included

Jordan Guess

I plan to keep the stock german speakers hooked up to the stock external amplifier that comes with the monsoon premium sound. VW is kind enough to put a tweeter and a speaker in each of the 4 doors that have pretty dang good SQ and get very loud. So as im waiting for my 2 12" havocs to come in, Ive noticed that my rear stage is not even noticeable even though the stock system is nice, I have no sound coming to my ears from behind me. I have devised a plan to fabricate my own rear stage powered by a rockford fosgate prime 300.4 while also keeping the stock system. For the box im not sure what material I should use, I was thinking of nutting up and attempting to do some fiberglass work (but that wouldn't match the carpeting) and making a mold for it with some chicken wire. Another option would be 1/2 inch mdf board or another type of wood that would still be light...maybe ply wood? Since its not a legit sub box, does the box material matter? input on that would be nice. Anyways, I could then go to a fabric store and purchase the same interior that my jetta has to make it look clean while also using the router to round the edges of the box.

What am i going to put in it for the best SQL possible?

Since these havocs will be standard ported out of the hatch off an AQ2200 tuned at 34 hz, im guessing that im going to have a noticeable sound gap with the higher frequency bass. I know I said that this rear fill wont be a legit sub box, but is there a way I can restore that high frequency bass with it? What I had in mind was some 6 1/2 subs off PE that will face upward at the rear window and I could put some polyfill inside this custom box Im trying to make. These subs dont have to be 6.5's either, I know PE makes MANY sizes of woofers, I just dont know how accurate my box volume will be with this box, so input here on some subs that require hardly any box volume would be nice (PE doesnt really specify good box volumes for sealed vehicle enslosures, so this is going out on a whim).

Here are some links of some subs for my rear sealed stage i was thinking of:

6 1/2 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-919

6x9 sub http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-837

Crescendo pwx 6's 8's or maybe a 10?

Sundown neos?

I dont know how much of a good bass response the sundown or the nendos can reproduce, input is accepted.

My budget for the subs is about $50 per driver, or $100 for a solo driver.

if its a two sub option, the amp can push 75rms per chan(2 ohm), if its solo, i can bridge at 150 (2 ohm). or 50 rms at 4 ohm per chan.

bare with this brick of text, im sorry.

once ive solved the higher bass frequency problem, its on to the rest of the frequencies.

At this point, I dont know if I need some full range drivers, components, coax's, super tweets, or wide dispersion tweets.

Right now Ive been really leaning toward the super tweets, but will I even notice them a row back?

Here are some pics of the space that I am working with in the rear.

note: these pics are of the area (since I cant recall the name) where most sedan vehicles install a 6x9 behind each head rest, except my box will be risen; i refuse to cut holes in the back panel.

SAM_0187_zps364a2b7c.jpg

SAM_0188_zpsf3339025.jpg

SAM_0189_zpse745a548.jpg

SAM_0190_zps58c222ed.jpg

If you can try and picture it in your head, the box will be kind of like a wedge, the narrow end of the wedge will be where the window meets the hatch, the opposite end (butt) will be facing into the cab behind the head rests (where i plan to mount the tweets or speakers or whatever facing the front). The face of the wedge will be facing the rear window and where I would hope to mount the sub or subs facing upward. and the back of the wedge obviously being the side that lays flat on the rear deck.

I guess what Im asking here is what would you do if your rear fill was missing, and this was your space? I can take out the middle head rest if needed and could add a row of drivers on the butt of the wedge, or maybe just put a speaker, tweeter, or whatever in the slots between middle/left and middle/right?

sorry for making you read all this, but if you did and have some input...thank you so much.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived