Sonic Electronix

I thought port noise was from not having enough port area

Its from air turbulence. Most common cause is not enough area but it could be other things as well.

2012 North American Street Stock Runner-up - 150.9 on 1800 clamped watts (Teammate)
2013 dB Drag Street Trunk World Champion - 153.9 on 3200 clamped Watts (Teammate)
2013 MECA Trunk 1 World Champion - 152.8 Headrest (Teammate)
2013 MECA Park & Pound 2 World Champion - 130.6 (Teammate)

Checkout our build and videos !! : ) 150+ Trunk Build Log itsgordy1 youtube channel (click for Hairtricks)

Smith's Custom Seats
Martinsburg, PA

(Second Skin Dealer)

Im not really worried about metering on this, so i wouldnt think id be able to notice a 1db difference would i?

Kenwood HU

Kicker ZX2500.1

15" Kicker L7 (x2)

Memphis 1/0 Wires

9^3 @ 31hz

DC Power SP 250 Alt.

2 Deka "Intimidater" Batteries

Big 3

Stock door speakers (For now)

Im not really worried about metering on this, so i wouldnt think id be able to notice a 1db difference would i?

1 db is on the bottom edge of what you could notice with your ear, but if hearing it back to back you probably could.

I would say Chevy's 4" guess would be a good place to be.

At lower frequencies when more air is moving is when you would notice the decrease and port noise most.

2012 North American Street Stock Runner-up - 150.9 on 1800 clamped watts (Teammate)
2013 dB Drag Street Trunk World Champion - 153.9 on 3200 clamped Watts (Teammate)

Checkout our build and videos !! : ) 150+ Trunk Build Log itsgordy1 youtube channel (click for Hairtricks)

Smith's Custom Seats
Martinsburg, PA

(Second Skin Dealer)

Not sure about the inches per foot part but Torres could answer that for you. As far as a 7 x 17 port for two 15's that should be a sufficient amount of port area.

What do you plan to tune it to and how long is your port going to be?

Smith's Custom Seats
Martinsburg, PA

(Second Skin Dealer)

The port is going to be square shape firing towards back.. 7 inches tall from bottom to top, 15 inches width left to right, and 21 in length (port walls). Box is 10 cubes gross, and a little over 8 cubes net. According to torres that should give me a tuning of 32hz. With 12 square inches port area per foot.. and a total of 105 inches of port area.

Kenwood HU

Kicker ZX2500.1

15" Kicker L7 (x2)

Memphis 1/0 Wires

9^3 @ 31hz

DC Power SP 250 Alt.

2 Deka "Intimidater" Batteries

Big 3

Stock door speakers (For now)

i had 2 rf t2 12 in a slot ported box, port was 4"wide. when i first meterd it i had it about 1.5" from the hatch door and di a 144. moved it back about 2" and gained .5db. then i turned the box so that it was sub up port up and did a 146. all on the same mic all in the same day. the only difference from the port and sub facing back and port and sub up is that port and sub up peaked higher at 2-3hz lower.

going from the 144.5 to 146 was noticable and was flexin the windsheild more. bass was cleaner and deeper aswell.

now every setup will be different but i wouldnt suggest choking you port. keep it atleast 4-7" from the hatch. maybe try foward facing it if needed in order to get more space between the port and structure of the car.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Archived