6x9 to 6.5 opinions

DubNDodge

I figured it would be time to upgrade to better mids/highs with the upcoming system. I was looking at a bunch of 2 way and 3 way 6x9s. Then I remember seeing on here somewhere 6x9s where getting laughed at. So is getting a component set the better way to go? Or is getting 6x9s fine?

Didn't know if it was just preference or if there is an actual difference in sound.

Also, is there any way to make an adapter ring for 6x9 to 6.5. To me it seems that it can't happen due to the diameter of the 6.5 would be further out than the 6" of the 6x9. I haven't taken off the door panels to measure, I try to refrain from that due to always breaking stupid rivets/rivet holders on the panel.

I will also have some more question about components if that is the way to go ;)

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

def the way to go!!!!! W-A-Y better sound quality out of even a "fair" set of components. Adapting from a 6x9 to 6.5 is usually fairly simple - just make some adapters out of wood. Worst case - use 5.25 components. Some audio websites will include adapters if you buy from them.

Man I'm glad I didn't lock this I get to witness two retards holding hands telling each other that it'll be ok because they are awesome.

Hey man, I would recommend component speakers over coaxial ones any day.

Here is what I did in my 05 Ram to fit 6.5 components:

1) Traced the factory speakers onto some .5" MDF, then cut it out, and drilled and counterbored the mounting holed so that the factory screws would mount the plates.

2) Made a cutout in the adapter plates to mount the 6.5 mid bass drivers to. the spacing that the MDF provides allows the mid bass driver to fit in the factory 6x9 location

3) Painted the plates flat black to make them go unseen behind the door grilles.

(if your factory tweeters mount in the dash like mine, then just mount them there.) If not, you can either a ) adjust the placement of the speakers in the adapter plates so the tweeters can be mounted there too. or b ) custom mount the tweeters somewhere else in your door panel or dash.

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Regular CabPioneer MVH-P7300Orion 800.4Planet Audio Big Bang series 6.5 componentsJL G17002 Diamond Audio D610D4's

Build log

women drivers no survivors

Converting 6x9 to 6.5 will give you more options on component sets, and plus you can fit a tweeter and 6.5 inside a 6x9 adapter, whether you buy one build to fit a 6.5 and a tweeter, or you make your own.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Ok sweet, I was assuming a component set was the way to go over the 6x9. I sorta nut hug AQ, so I was looking at their set http://www.soundqube...TS65_p_144.html

Only thing I wish they would list was what rms should be used, it was only the peak.

Here comes the second question, how do you determine what the impedance of each side is going to be? With the amplifier, would you just set the crossover to full since the crossover is there? I have little knowledge on how the crossover works (the one for the components).

I was going to purchase 3/4 mdf for the sub enclosure, hopefully lowes will just let me get a small section of 1/2 or even a 1/4 if they have it.

Some other options I found for mounting were these: http://www.sonicelec...ra-82-6901.html

Edit: Probably just going to go with 1/4 mdf instead of those plastic adapters from sonic. Seems like it would be much more durable.

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

For the peak power, I assume that if the peak is 200 rms, then the rms should be 100 rms, but you can always ask AQ for more knowledge about it.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

With the amplifier X-over settings, if it has a high pass filter option, just set that to the lowest frequency your mids will handle without distortion. (I generally set mine around 80-100 Hz, but it really depends on the drivers.)

Basically the crossover for the components divides the sound at appropriate frequencies for the tweeters and mid bass drivers, however, I don't think it includes a bandpass for the mid bass. (that is why you would set the high pass on your amp.)

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Regular CabPioneer MVH-P7300Orion 800.4Planet Audio Big Bang series 6.5 componentsJL G17002 Diamond Audio D610D4's

Build log

I guess I should just ask them about what the impedance would be as well then. You would think they would have that listed...

That's the term I was trying to think of.. bandpass. Yeah I wasn't sure if it had that or not. Another question I'll have to ask them. Thanks!

No problem man.

Even if it does include a bandpass, I would set the high pass on the amp as a safeguard.

Build log

Archived