DC Sound Lab

I have a level 2 twelve running off of a Kicker zx 500.1. Noone in my area can tune the amp except by sound. I turned bass boost down all the way and control the amplitide by by subwoofer level on my headunit. Depending on the frequency of the bass on a specific track it pounds but on some low bass notes the speakers still put off a smell. The vented enclosure is behind my drivers seat in an extended cab F-250. Could it just be after listening to a song loud they are just getting warm or can the amplifier still be clipping due to different bass notes? I have turned the gain down to between 1/2 and 3/4, if i turn it down much more the speaker hardly moves, any suggestions thanks fellas.

What is your enclosure tuned to?

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

when I gave my dimensions to dc for a port length they never said. they are inside dimensions of 15 in wide by 16 1/2 H by 10.5 long for a total of 1.503 port dimensions they replied with are 16.5 tall one inch wide and 12 in long. i found an online calculator that said it should be around 35 hz but i don't trust it.

Download the Torres calculator, plug in all those dimensions and your woofer displacement, which will be .16 I believe. Tell me what tuning it gives you.

You should try turning up your SSF, do you have a DMM?

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

Well shit. I plugged all those in. Got 1.50 cubes gross which means I got your dimensions correct, plugged in the displacement and common port walls which is 3, assuming it's a standard L port. And it's giving me 45.55Hz.

You're tuned waayyyy too high. Port area per foot is only about 13.75 and the net volume for the sub is only 1.2, you want to be at 1.5-2.0. I highly suggest rebuilding a new box.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

Read what I posted above ^ Also, SSF and DMM are Subsonic Filter and Digital Multimeter.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

I wonder why Dc said this would be optimum. I comes out to 1.28 after displacement. On Dc site it calls for 1.25 for ported enclosure and they said this would work great. It sounds good as is. It is in my company truck and can't go much bigger. I refigured everything and 3/4 mdf vent comes out to.08 displacement and .14 for the sub which leaves 1.28. If I can get closer to 1.5 or slightly bigger not sure where to get new dimensions. i am just an ageing audiophile that likes bumpin.

Give me the max dimensions of the area where you want the box, is the sub and port firing forward/rear/or up?

Edited by Raptorman

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO