Sonic Electronix

i have a rover metro 1.1litre, (i live in Great Britain) have ordered a 140amp alternator, and have a 45AH stock battery, i have been told that the alt will 'cook' that battery.......is this true???,

if so what should i do to solve it?

i will either run 700wrms or 1000wrms (ish) from a JBL gto 1201.1 amp to 12" type-r sub.

Help is much appreciated,

cheers Ben.

*Alpine Typr-R 12"

*JBL GTO 1200.1 Sub Amp

*Alpine PDX-4.100

*Rockford Fosgate Power 6.5's

*Rockford Fosgate Fanatics 6.5's Both in front doors

*0/1 Guage wiring from front Junction Boxes to 120AH Battery In Boot (battery removed because too small for alternator)

*140 Amp HO Alternator

*Alpine Head Unit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------x------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hmm, the best way to describes this is that ur battery is where most of the "power" comes from, and the alternator recharges that battery. u need a high output alt so that you can recharge the battery faster than if you kept the stock alt... so the only problem you might have is not having a big enough battery, the battery wont cook, it just might not have as much reserve amperage as you need...

this shortens the lifespan of the battery because it will be discharged completely or close to more often than if you had no stereo. the best thing u could do is get a deep cycle battery for the rear, and try to replace the stock bat with the same bat as in the rear or close to

hope that helps

edit* and i dont consider myself an expect if that matters!?!

Edited by decafcappucino

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Cheers buddy,

Any more comments from any body?

cheers Ben :)

*Alpine Typr-R 12"

*JBL GTO 1200.1 Sub Amp

*Alpine PDX-4.100

*0/1 Guage wiring from front Junction Boxes to 120AH Battery In Boot (battery removed because too small for alternator)

*140 Amp HO Alternator

*Alpine Head Unit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------x------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have got hold of a old 120ah battery from a lorry at work, it's charging up at the moment, hopefully it will hold a charge and all that, if i was to connect this up to the other battery(electrician said to do this at work) and stick it in the boot the 140 amp alt will be able to charge them both up with out any battery getting 'cooked' ?? its a 120AH deep cycle gel battery :D

*Alpine Typr-R 12"

*JBL GTO 1200.1 Sub Amp

*Alpine PDX-4.100

*140 Amp HO Alternator

*Alpine Head Unit

I have got hold of a old 120ah battery from a lorry at work, it's charging up at the moment, hopefully it will hold a charge and all that, if i was to connect this up to the other battery(electrician said to do this at work) and stick it in the boot the 140 amp alt will be able to charge them both up with out any battery getting 'cooked' ?? its a 120AH deep cycle gel battery :D

you should be good with that the alternator wont cook that.

i need some answeres please guys, the 140 amp alt, will this constantly give my stock 45AH batt 140 amps, or will it only charge it up when it needs the power back in it.

could somebody explain it all to me.....like how much etc the alt charges the bat, how much 700-1000wrms will draw from the bat and how quickly the alt will charge the bat when i have the music on

i do have this 120AH battery for the boot, it just depends if it holds a charge i will use it. but if it doesent will the stock 45AH battery be able to cope with the music on loud?

hope that makes sence!

cheers

*Alpine Typr-R 12"

*JBL GTO 1200.1 Sub Amp

*Alpine PDX-4.100

*140 Amp HO Alternator

*Alpine Head Unit

While the car is running everything runs off the alternator. I've never seen a situation like this but I think the battery should be just fine.

Sweet ass car btw!

lmao! do they have those cars in America lol?

has any of you got say 200-300amp(ish) Alternator that goes to a smallish standard stock sorta battery say between 45AH-70ah(ish) ?? i'm really worried bout cooking/blowing my battery etc :(

*Alpine Typr-R 12"

*JBL GTO 1200.1 Sub Amp

*Alpine PDX-4.100

*140 Amp HO Alternator

*Alpine Head Unit

that 120 amp battery is all good, and it's good to be used :D the electricians at work say to run wires from the 1st battery under the bonnet to the second battery in the boot (pos to pos, and neg to neg) and run the amp/subs of the battery in the boot, and the 140 amp alternator should charge both batteries up

has any body done it this way before? i dont really wanna use a split charger relay if this method works because it has got expensive so far lol.

cheers.......

*Alpine Typr-R 12"

*JBL GTO 1200.1 Sub Amp

*Alpine PDX-4.100

*140 Amp HO Alternator

*Alpine Head Unit