Sonic Electronix

Amp vs. HU questions - new here

Hello all, nice to be here. I see this is a pretty active forum and already see some great stuff going on.

I have some questions as I am still an amateur when it comes to car audio.

My system is as follows (amp and sub I received for free),

JL 13.5'' W7

JL 1000.1

Kenwood Excelon x993

Optima Yellow Top Battery

71pvmx.jpg

I did some reading of the 1000.1 manual, but with limited knowledge of car audio it is hard to understand some things.

When I received the car back from the place that installed it, it was tuned like this..

AMP LP Filter: Slope 24dB @ Filter Frequency: 75 Hz.

The headunit has the Subwoofer X'Over set to a Slope of 12db @ 100 Hz.

My questions are the following...

Does this seem correct? Or should I be turning off the head units X'Over?

Which if that is the case there is no way to turn if off unless it means setting the x'over to one of the following settings... Through on the slope (LPF goes from 30 Hz to Through) or Reverse/Normal in the Phase section (all within the subwoofer X'Over settings)

All other speakers are stock besides the subwoofer, its a Bose system upgrade though (comes from the factory).

I am also trying to turn the back factory 6'' subs off, because they don't do much besides punch and more "muddy". In order to do this I set the Rear HPF to 250 Hz. I have the Front speakers at 100 Hz so they can give a little punch of the high end of the baselines.

I am seeking nothing but SQ, the loudness comes default with the 13.5'' / 1000.1, atleast to my liking.

I appreciate your time and responses very much.

-Nick

Yeah I'd disable the HU LPF. And since you're using the W7-1000/1 combo go to JL's website,they have good guidance on how to set up that amp since you're new to this. If you're really seeking SQ, then spend a couple hundred bucks on components and a 4 channel and forget the factory bose.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Exactly how would I disable the HU LPF? That is my biggest problem... do I set it to LPF Through or Phase normal or reverse?

And I have no cash to put out, I was simply just trying to turn off the factory bose subs in the back, which I believe I did by putting their HPF @ 250 Hz, they barely reproduce bass notes now. Just wanting to get others' opinions if there was a better way to accomplish this.

sorry i didnt feel like reading, but judging from the replies you're having some conflicting conflicts with your LPF?

well the thing is you generally cant turn off the LPF on the head unit.

so what i did was turn the LPF all the way up (250Hz on my amp) in this case and just use the LPF on the head unit, which i believe i have set to like 80Hz. cant recall off the top of my head.

try that and see how it works out.

Whichever option for LPF isn't a frequency should be OFF... and adjust the phase for whatever blends better with your mids

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Archived