Crescendo PWX6.5 Review - Decent, still some things to know

Product:

Crescendo PWX6.5 - 8 ohm

Manufactured by:

Crescendo Audio

Purchased/recieved from:

Crescendo Audio

Review 3/5 overall

I got these mids to replace the ones that came in a previous component set I owned as I was looking for something with a bit more power handling. They have a very warm, rich sound to them with plenty of midbass that does not sacrifice the high end. They also have a large magnet and a black, cast basket. Overall, they are built quite well - although their mounting depth may make it hard to use in some applications. They have a composite cone with a matching dustcap, both of which are quite rigid.

However, there are 2 issues with these drivers that I feel need to be addressed. One is that the push terminals stick out beyond the driver's cutout, making it impossible to mount these in a baffle thicker than .5" without converting to direct leads. The other is that these mids should be treated as 100wrms drivers instead of the 150wrms they are rated. They can take 150 watts, but it seems that it really pushing their upper end as I have gotten mine slightly smelly at times even running on clean power.

Overall, they do great for their price, but are not without their downsides.

Did you just have one wired to each channel on that Crossfire amp? And those push terminals definitely seemed like a pain! It looks like they got it figured out on their new components though!

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

I have the amp bridged, running 2 per channel at 4 ohms.

Archived