Hard Wire USB Power?

What is the best way to go from the battery, to a 5V usb power?

I will be installing a Nexus 7 in my dash soon, and am making my own POGO pin charger. To do this, I need a 5V (USB power) connection. What can I do to have this connection in my dash? The power cable that goes to a headunit is 12V, correct? Is there any way I can splice into the 12V connection, and step it down the to correct voltage?

In the long run, I would like to have 2 5V connections, as well.

On 2/28/2013 at 2:52 PM, Chaise said:

"Now spread your butt cheeks so I can zap your asshole."

2008 Subaru Forester XT

What I did in my truck was go get a little cigarette lighter plug with a usb port in it, and took it apart to flush a USB port into my din pocket.

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Regular CabPioneer MVH-P7300Orion 800.4Planet Audio Big Bang series 6.5 componentsJL G17002 Diamond Audio D610D4's

Build log

women drivers no survivors

One way would be to wire in an inverter and plug a wall outlet to USB (think apple)

Another would be to get a cigarette inverter with a USB port on it, strip it apart and install it as you want.

These are relatively small and I'm sure you could find a place to mount/hide them and simply run a USB extension (female to male) anywhere you wanted.

adapter-views2.jpg

4-port-power-inverter.jpg

coleman-inverter-cigar-lighter.jpg

I personally have all 3 of these (more or less the same models).

Hope this helps.

2010 HHR LT - DNX 6160 - sony xec-700 - sony xm-4040 for door mids - XM-6020 for tweets in a-pillar - saz1500d v1 - VVME RD-12 1.75 f^3 32hz

guru and president of the "cheap asses trying to beat up the block with bargain bin woofers" club

See, it's hard to explain, but I want the entire thing behind the dash.

The charger itself will be part of my dash, so I want to hide all the wires back there as well.

If that's the case, simply get the cigarette inverter and strip it apart. Hook up the 12v+ to the ignition switch (these don't really use that much power so it should be fine, especially if you are just using the USB part)

Get the USB extension and find a place to hide it. It doesn't NEED to be behind the dash, does it? With the extension, you can place the inverter anywhere.

2010 HHR LT - DNX 6160 - sony xec-700 - sony xm-4040 for door mids - XM-6020 for tweets in a-pillar - saz1500d v1 - VVME RD-12 1.75 f^3 32hz

guru and president of the "cheap asses trying to beat up the block with bargain bin woofers" club

Could I use one of these, and just rip it apart and hard wire it to the ignition switch?

belkin-micro-auto-charger-car-dc-usb-adaptor-fr-ipod-iphone-psp-htc-1004-22-junelaw@1.jpg

I would be doing two of these, both would be simply charging devices. 1 is a tablet, the other is a phone.

On 2/28/2013 at 2:52 PM, Chaise said:

"Now spread your butt cheeks so I can zap your asshole."

2008 Subaru Forester XT

I Wire the cigarette lighter adapter for my 8" Lilliput screen right off my ACC wire for my headunit. It is the plug that looks like this

67641.jpg

Just take the plug apart attention to which wire goes to the center pin inside the adapter so you get + and - right. And wire that to your ACC wire and a ground.

Simple.

Archived