Sosebee Posted December 6, 2012 Report Posted December 6, 2012 I have a few questions for anyone who would have advice for me. I am currently finishing up my associates in applied fire science at a community college. I am state certified for FF1 and have been looking for a job but I am not having any luck. My question is what benefit would there be if I went off to a university and got my bachelors compared to just having my associates. I'm at a real cross road wondering if I should risk my certification by going off for 2 more years of school or just continue to live at home while I look for jobs. Thank you for any advice given. 2005 Chevy Colorado Pioneer avic-x930bt Alpine pdx-m12 Alpine pdx-f4 Focal is 165 Focal ic 165 Sundown SA 15 D4 Kicker 0/1 OFC power wire Kicker 12 awg speaker wire XS Power D2400 DC Power 270 H/O Alt
safiend Posted December 6, 2012 Report Posted December 6, 2012 Not a career firemen but volunteer for over 2 years. FF 1&2, Hazmat Ops, Technical Rescuer etc. The only thing I could think of is a possible increase in pay, but as far as on the job it wouldn't help to much. Your still going to have to put in your time like everyone else and work your way up. If it was me, I would get the associates and try to start working. Then work on your bachelors while your working.. I assume you have volunteer experience? One of our guys has a bachelors in fire science and to my knowledge he gets paid the same as everyone else.. New build coming soon..
Sosebee Posted December 6, 2012 Author Report Posted December 6, 2012 I have been a volunteer for almost 3 years. The only thing I'm thinking of is down the road, becoming a chief or something, would a bachelors help in that, or would the associates be sufficient. Thank you for your input. 2005 Chevy Colorado Pioneer avic-x930bt Alpine pdx-m12 Alpine pdx-f4 Focal is 165 Focal ic 165 Sundown SA 15 D4 Kicker 0/1 OFC power wire Kicker 12 awg speaker wire XS Power D2400 DC Power 270 H/O Alt
Kyblack76 Posted December 6, 2012 Report Posted December 6, 2012 Off topic as shit... But, if I could go back, And do it over, this is what I'd like to do... Best of luck, ... Stay safe. sorry to thread jack. SMD SUPER SELLER The Burban Build Blazer Build sold Acura trunk build sold
safiend Posted December 6, 2012 Report Posted December 6, 2012 Of course that would help but becoming a fire chief is MUCH more than a bachelors in fire science. You need YEARS of experience to even come close to be a chief. Along with many certifications. I would sit down with some of your officers and see what they think. Like I said, if it was me I would finish the associates and work. Dont worry about becoming a fire chief right now, you should be more considered about landing a full time position at a nice department. You need to build your name up and get yourself out there. Getting a full time position in the fire service is alot harder than it seems.. New build coming soon..
Sosebee Posted December 6, 2012 Author Report Posted December 6, 2012 Ya I've been trying since may and nothing is popping up. I'm still applying as I'm in school because I can just drop classes and start working. I know there is a lot more than just a degree that is required to move up the chain. I've always just thought I was gonna get certified and get a job right away, but that is not the case. So I'm staying in school as I apply. Maybe I could stay in school as I continue to apply. Every job opening that pops up I sign up for because who cares who you work for, as long as you are working. 2005 Chevy Colorado Pioneer avic-x930bt Alpine pdx-m12 Alpine pdx-f4 Focal is 165 Focal ic 165 Sundown SA 15 D4 Kicker 0/1 OFC power wire Kicker 12 awg speaker wire XS Power D2400 DC Power 270 H/O Alt
Rockford96 Posted December 7, 2012 Report Posted December 7, 2012 My step dad is the cheif at our fire house here he never went to collego but they are alot more inclined to take someone that has college now best luck to you! My setup, Digital Designs M80 3 Re audio 10's ported tuned to 36 hz Kenwood x-696 SHCA 0 gauge Polk audio coax running off hu
finkster Posted December 7, 2012 Report Posted December 7, 2012 My step dad is the cheif at our fire house here he never went to collego but they are alot more inclined to take someone that has college now best luck to you! Back in the day you didnt have to have half of the classes you need to today. OP you already have enough to be a career fireman. Prior experience means nothing unless you are a medic, but your degree is nice to have. You will be getting Fire 1 in the academy again anyhow. What is most important is a clean record, clean driving record, and good work references. That's it. DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active Eclipse cd7000 I serve drunks for a living
iceman1575 Posted December 8, 2012 Report Posted December 8, 2012 Go to Detroit, you'll probably be guaranteed a job there. Lol. But in all seriousness, you're a certified FF so you know the necessities, and you'll have a form of education in fire, which definitely can help. I'd say see what that does for you. More than likely you'll learn more on-the-job or while you volunteer versus any school education.. Not naming any names, but one of our members on our FD went to school for a bachelor's in Fire Science, yet he hasn't bothered to apply for a job as a firefighter...and I know all three local "cities" have been hiring...I just don't get why you would get a bachelor's degree to be a volunteer firefighter... Good luck man! I considered a full-time career as a firefighter, but that's not what I want to do with my life. I love being a volunteer and helping the community, and that's good enough for me...now if I could just get my hours to get certified. POTATO!
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.