SA8 for Computer?

Ok so I just picked up an SA8 from woofercooker. I am going to either toss it in my girls car or the idea I really like is using it with my computer speaker system.

I can build the box the way I would for the car. .7 ported at 35 blah blah blah.

My problem is how do I hook it up? I got the D4 so I can run it at an 8 ohm load if necessary, and I currently have a Logitech 5.1 surround sound for the comp. I basically want to replace my sub with the SA8.

Is there a way that I can get a crappy little amp from walmart that the gangsters think puts out 1K watts, and use that POS to power the SA8? Could the logitech stuff somehow send the proper signal to a car amp and then the car amp just pushes the sub?

I know I would need a 12V PSU from a computer to run the car amp, that is not an issue.

Just wondering if this is possible. I think it would be badass to have an SA8 flush mounted into my computer desk.

Thanks!

| Pioneer | DC Audio | Crescendo | XS Power | SHCA & Knu | CDT | DC Power |

What I did was get the PSU. Then for the signal I used a 5 way headphone splitter. From that I had an Aux cable go to my desktop speakers and then I had a Aux > RCA converter and ran RCA's to the splitter.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

Ok so how do you control the volume of the sub?

As far as the plate amps, they are all rated for 4 ohms. My sub would be 2 or 8, and a plate amp is not going to make any power at 8 unless I spend a LOT more than I am going to spend on a shit amp from walmart. Hell, even a Kicker DX250.1 can be had for around 90 bucks on fleabay.

I was looking at something like this to plug into my desktop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020

Could run a cable from the sub output to an RCA adapter then the RCA's to the amp?

But once again, where do I control master volume on the sub?

Get a bass knob on the amp.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

Get a pro audio/Dj amplifier? It'd be cleaner (looking) and put out some good power. As far as how to hook it (or car amp) that cable someone posted would work. Splits the headphone jack to RCAs.

And if you haven't made the box yet, make it sub down port back. Epic bass beast mode.

Wall build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174827-walled-taurus-with-lambo-doors/#entry2571893

real men dont use fuses :D

Neither do morons
Says the guy with lambo doors on his Ford Taurus.

I am going to run an MB Quart FX400.1, they are new for 62 shipped and are 400 watts at 2 ohms. That would be a good match for the SA8 V1. As far as power I am going to run a computer PSU, not too many have strong 12V rails but I found one for 50 bucks that puts out 56 amps, which is more than I need.

Building the box tomorrow. Due to the space restrictions I am going to do port and sub out. I have a feeling this is going to kick some serous ass when it is all hooked up.

Hell, at least then I can accurately tell what is going to slam REAL hard in my car vs hope it does. The sub I am using now is pathetic.

I am really excited about this. I LOVE the little 8's but just cannot afford to get like 4-6 of the SA8 V2's for my car. Plus I have a new build for the car starting up and will be happy with that for a while.

Already built the box. Going to carpet the front of it tomorrow. I shall post pics.

It fits perfect in the cutout for a computer in my computer desk. I keep the tower on top of the desk so this sub goes in that spot. 9 wide, 20" tall, 13" deep. Sub and port fire out. Tuned to 35.

I have been having some fun with my Logitech sub, I turned it upside down so I can watch the little 5" woofer play decaf at full tilt LMFAO. Poor little thing.

This essentially is going to be a stand alone system. I will have separate control of the bass compared to the normal music volume. This setup is going to rock hard.

Archived