DC Sound Lab

Setting Subsonic Filter With XL' M2'S

I am currently building a system for my 93 Chevy Caprice. My substage is a Hifonics Colossus 3200 watts RMS amp on 2 XL 15'S M2. My box is right at 6.65 net after all displacements tuned to 33 hz. Here is my question I have a Audiocontrol EQS with a built in 33hz subsonic 18 db octave filter. Keep in mind this works on a chip and is not selectable. I have not hooked this system up yet because I am still buying all my electrical. My question is should I buy a different chip to go with 25, 30 hz or stick with the 33 hz subsonic? How low should I be able to play under tuning without risking damage to the woofers. I really want this set up to be a low end monster

In my opinion there is no point in tuning lower (28-33hz) if you're just going to cut off the lower end response of the box. I would set it where Cody recommended at 25hz and maybe you can get away less, it just depends on where you start to unload etc.

2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX

(4) Sundown Audio X-8's

(2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's

(3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries

(1) Mechman 240

3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunk

TEAM NWSPL

Best termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:
151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 class

Best termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:
152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class
155db outlaw

In my opinion there is no point in tuning lower (28-33hz) if you're just going to cut off the lower end response of the box. I would set it where Cody recommended at 25hz and maybe you can get away less, it just depends on where you start to unload etc.

Right I understand that the 33hz chip is standard with the audiocontrol piece I was just trying to confirm. The only confusing thing is when I called and talked Audiocontrol they said to keep the standard 33hz chip in since my box was tuned to that. Maybe thats what the sq guys do but I don't know. Any insight on this?

Just because I said to get the 25hz chip doesn't mean you can just rip out 25hz songs all day. You still have to be smart about what you play and how loud you play it.

Right and thats kinda what I was thinking but I didnt want to have a box tuned low that I couldn't maximize the low end and I definately believe in Audiocontrol processors. So thanks for the help

No problem. I personally have my 360.3 set to bandpass for the subs at 20hz and 80hz. Just because I am letting the 20hz pass, doesnt mean that I am going to play down there. Still breaking the subs in, but right now I know I can get to 25hz with ease.