Jigsaw recommendation

Some of the black and deckers ive looked at make me a little nervous. Seems like a bit too much plastic, along with these gimmicky "select-o-matic" knobs and "straight cut protruding guides"... I dunno, makes em look almost more like a toy than a tool. But I can't say how they perform, never used one, just what I'm observing.

That said, I guess more and more tools are going the all plastic route these days. I wish I could get my father to give up his OLD school craftsman jigsaw. That beast is all metal body, like 35 years old, and still runs like a champ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was able to try a few out, had it narrowed down to a Bosch, Dewalt, and a Rigid. I went with Dewalt corded, it was a happy medium. This one:

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/saws-jig-saws-dw331k.aspx

So far it's great. Got a set of Bosch blades to use. I really like the tool free bevel change, probably my favorite feature. The keyless blade change works fine. No-mar shoe is a nice addition. It's plenty powerful, cuts 3/4 MDF effortlessly. If I clamp a straight edge and use a nice blade I can get perfect straight and beveled cuts. Maybe I'm just excited but I've actually been using it frequently, making a few decorative signs out of scrap birch ply.

Anyway I'll update on how it performs down the road. Thanks to everyone for their advice, I really appreciate it.

Archived