Sonic Electronix

Troubleshooting extremely reduced output

OK, so I have an older class A/B sub amp that has served me pretty well up until now. What is happening is that it sounds normal at lower volume levels, but when I crank it, it almost cuts out. I can still hear SOME bass, but the output is reduced to almost nothing. Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? I guess I could yank the amp and hook it up directly to the battery under the hood to make sure it is not in my wiring/ ground that is run to the trunk. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

have you messed with the speaker wiring? Sounds like something could be wired out of phase.

Or, have yourself, or a helper, turn up and down the volume, and take Voltage measurements at the amp power and at the battery to see if anything weird is going on with either your electrical system or amp. If its all reading normal in all conditions, then check the DC resistance of the speakers to make sure they're still in spec. If thats good, then it could be your amp internals..

Keep us posted too

Got in there and did some digging. Turns out it was my ground. The battery bank is grounded to the frame in the rear and had vibrated loose. Tightened it back down and she is hitting hard again. Thanks for the response!

Archived