Macbook Superdrive->SSD Swap

Just purchased a used late 2012 Macbook Pro quad core, already happy with it and I haven't installed Win7 or BF3 on it! I do plan on swapping the Superdrive with a 256GB SSD, and leaving the 750GB HDD in for music/project storage. Anyone have some suggestions? The SSD will be for application install and initial project save, then be transferred from there to HD. Also, do they make an enclosure you can drop the Superdrive into and access via USB? I won't need it more than likely but it will be nice to have.

POTATO!

There are are a couple options you have. Personally I went the expensive route and got a enclosure for the superdrive and SSD from (company who's name i cant recall) it wasn't worth what I paid.

If I were to do it over again I would get these.

http://www.ifixit.co...osure/IF107-080

http://www.amazon.co...drive enclosure

And that should do what you want I think.

iirc there is a issue with dvd playback while using an external DVD drive. I'm not sure if it's been fixed I don't use DVD's.

I'm partial to Crucial SSD's, they arent the fastest but the algorthyms for garbage collection (deactivating unused cells) is industry leading making them more reliable in all types of configurations. Look for the M series.

As far as an external enclosure, any SATA 2.5 inch enclosure should do. Check around newegg, I think I got a bunch on special for 3.99 not too long ago.

Crucial's M4 series are proven and reliable drives.

Samsung's 830 series are being phased out for the slightly faster and more expensive 840/840 pro lineup but are in the same class as the Crucial M4. Great SSD's if you can find one new. The extra performance of the 840/840 Pro models aren't worth the price premium unless you have the money to throw away.

I'm a big fan of Intel's drives if you can get them for good prices. Intel is well known for the quality of their drives, though they often cost a little more. The 335 series are solid and are occasionally on sale for good prices.

Mushkin's Chronos Deluxe models are high-end drives and can usually be found at great sale prices. If you look at the Mushkin drives make sure you're looking at the Deluxe series. The normal Chronos series aren't quite as fast.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Crucial's M4 series are proven and reliable drives.

Samsung's 830 series are being phased out for the slightly faster and more expensive 840/840 pro lineup but are in the same class as the Crucial M4. Great SSD's if you can find one new. The extra performance of the 840/840 Pro models aren't worth the price premium unless you have the money to throw away.

I'm a big fan of Intel's drives if you can get them for good prices. Intel is well known for the quality of their drives, though they often cost a little more. The 335 series are solid and are occasionally on sale for good prices.

Mushkin's Chronos Deluxe models are high-end drives and can usually be found at great sale prices. If you look at the Mushkin drives make sure you're looking at the Deluxe series. The normal Chronos series aren't quite as fast.

I've been looking at the M4's, been deciding between those and the OCZ SSD's.

POTATO!

OCZ's drives aren't really any better or worse than anyone else's. The reason they are so popular is because they have usually been the first to bring new tech to the consumer market. They usually had the first drive with a newest SandForce controller. The flip side of that coin is that they were usually hit with the most bad reviews because the tech wasn't always mature yet and would need firmware updates to iron out any issues that arose.

If you're looking at OCZ's Agility/Vertex 3 drives I would take a serious look at Mushkin's Chronos Deluxe. They use the same controller and offer every bit of the same performance for less money.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, reviving this topic. I'm deciding between the Samsung 840 Pro and the Crucial M4. Main question is, do you all think 128GB would be sufficient for applications only, or should I go up to the 256GB? Hell, most of the drive is going to have Battlefield 3 on it anyways, but I don't plan on putting a whole lot in applications, just BF3/Starcraft 2 on the Windows side, and Studio One on the Mac side.

POTATO!

Okay, reviving this topic. I'm deciding between the Samsung 840 Pro and the Crucial M4. Main question is, do you all think 128GB would be sufficient for applications only, or should I go up to the 256GB? Hell, most of the drive is going to have Battlefield 3 on it anyways, but I don't plan on putting a whole lot in applications, just BF3/Starcraft 2 on the Windows side, and Studio One on the Mac side.

Save a little more and buy the 256GB. I've put 120GB SSD's in both my laptop and desktop and there's no worse feeling than having to move your 30GB Battlefield 3 install to a regular hard drive because you're running out of space on the SSD (I had to 2 days ago :(). After having stuff on there, you'll want everything on there (besides movies, music, documents, etc.). That 128GB fills up faster than you would think.

wtf is lolcats?

Archived