Second Skin Audio

Water Cooled Subs (Bazooka Tri Vent)

Fast Company

Hi all! Just signed up to the forums and am enjoying my stay so far. A friend turned me to Mr. Meade and I have to say that guy does not "eff" around. Great designs and awesome installs.

Now on to my question... I am wondering if anybody has had any experience with the Bazooka Water Cooled subs or C.H.I.L.L. Kit? I know this most likely is not near the caliber of most of the setups or builds in this forum but I called a lot of companies (including bazooka) and I'm running into a wall when it comes to support. I entered an SPL event and hit 135.6 @ 294watts RMS with two water cooled Tri Vent subs. Not too shabby in my limited opinion. I posted a few videos on YouTube of them to see if I could drum up some folks who ran them before. Please let me know if you have used the C.H.I.L.L. kit as I only have a couple questions. Thanks for your time. Cheers!

Hey welcome to SMD!!

I haven't played with those.. But they really sound interesting

It looks like all it does for the subs is plug the vent hole and cool the magnet. Seems like it is more marketing than effectiveness, so I'd save your time/money and just skip it ;)

Welcome to the forum!!

I've never heard of water cooling an amp before.....sounds interesting tho. But with most amps, they don't get hot unless they're running really low impedences of clipping hard. Also, are you saying your subs are water cooled? Or just the amp?

Edit: ninja'd by snowdrifter lol

Welcome to the forum!!

I've never heard of water cooling an amp before.....sounds interesting tho. But with most amps, they don't get hot unless they're running really low impedences of clipping hard. Also, are you saying your subs are water cooled? Or just the amp?

Edit: ninja'd by snowdrifter lol

They made around 6 amps called Mardis Gras series that had the water cooling. And only a couple subs that took the water cooling. You tie it all together and the pump flows through each sub and amp through a radiator and that's how it cools. I currently am only cooling the subs. I would love a Mardis Gras amp but very difficult to find.

Well It's "supposed" to be able to increase RMS by 75%. Well, so they say. I'm going to be running 500 Watt RMS this coming summer. Well I'd like to but I'm not too sure they will hold. This being one of my questions. Thanks for the welcome!

Your power handling is limited by how much heat the voice coil can dissipate. And this cools the magnet, not the coil - hence why I say it is largely ineffective. It's like cooling down your cabin to try and cool down your engine. Doesn't work too well haha

I'm not too sure what your site regulations are regarding the posting of links so If you want to check them out on YouTube type in "dual bazooka tri vent subs" and you can see them in "action". LOL I have build pictures but again, I'm not sure if I can post them yet.

Well It's "supposed" to be able to increase RMS by 75%. Well, so they say. I'm going to be running 500 Watt RMS this coming summer. Well I'd like to but I'm not too sure they will hold. This being one of my questions. Thanks for the welcome!

Your power handling is limited by how much heat the voice coil can dissipate. And this cools the magnet, not the coil - hence why I say it is largely ineffective. It's like cooling down your cabin to try and cool down your engine. Doesn't work too well haha

Great analogy! But I see where you are going. That's too bad cause it sure made a great conversation piece at the SPL drags. LOL They are technically 9" subs and they hit at 48hz. But my amp is a 300.1 JBL Grand Touring series mono block. I added two 80mm fans to the front of the amp to keep it's old circuits cool.

I'm not too sure what your site regulations are regarding the posting of links so If you want to check them out on YouTube type in "dual bazooka tri vent subs" and you can see them in "action". LOL I have build pictures but again, I'm not sure if I can post them yet.

Go to the build log section and make your own thread, post all the pictures of your ride/build process you want ;)

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/forum/13-member-rides-%26-builds-show-off-your-whip-show-off-your-system/

Oh: and to post pictures, upload to photobucket and copy/paste the [img ] link

You can certainly do it if you want to be unique. Just don't do it with the intention of gaining anything significant

Archived