Sonic Electronix

sound dampening for the trunk

my trunk rattles pretty bad, and with my new install about to happen it will be horrible soon. i cant afford $100 to get some normal sound dampener right now BUT i have a bunch of large Acoustiblok scraps which is a sound dampening material ( http://www.acoustiblok.com/ ) but it isn't self sticking. so my question is can i can still use it and adhere it with some kind of glue? this stuff is pretty heavy (i'd imagine dynamat and other car audio deadners are as well) so what could i use to glue it? liquid nails maybe?

Thanks!

I would go with weldwood before 3M spray etc. Iv'e had 3M fail on me a cpl times.

Kenwood KIV-701
Crescendo BC2000D
DC Audio lvl3 w/ lvl4 upgrade, 18''
6ft^3 @ 27hz
MBquart ONX 4.125
(2) PWX 6.5

(2) PWX 8
(2) FT1
300amp Singer with VCM @14.5
Optima YT & D1200
My Build Log
dcsig.jpg

every company has their niche market. hifonics has successfully captured the average ignorant teenage boy.

Dont trip.. Ive never won anything in my life. Spite a 10lb cock and a bucket of balls at birth,......
Yeah.. like i said, nothing in my life. :shrug: meh, im cool with it, fuck it.

I would go with weldwood before 3M spray etc. Iv'e had 3M fail on me a cpl times.

Yeah 3m stuff would definitely not hold it. If you dont mind ruining the surface, through some liquid nails on it. My suggestion would be to take the trunk off and flip it over when apply the deadener. It would ensure for a good bond and cure.

i think i might actually have a little bit of the 3m adhesive spray. i will try a small piece with that and if it seems alright then i will look into getting some of the weldwood for the rest.

i was also contemplating taking the trunk lid off for this so glad to see someone else suggesting it.

You can try something like what casket said but by the time you buy enough of some really good adhesive you mine as well save a lil bit of $ and get some of the Second skin damplifier,it's actually pretty cheap. Orangejuiced idea is great too,sure beats breaking your back trying to hold it up. http://store.secondskinaudio.com/damplifier/

I really good auto body adhesive will honestly cost more than you are willing to pay. Try a few hundred. So again, don't use the 3m or weldwood. That is more for apply upholstery. I suggest going with the liquid nails, or some legit deadener. Audio Technix offers a trunk pack that is decently priced.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technix-12-sq-ft-of-60-mil-Sound-Deadener-2-Door-Pack-/110943775495?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item19d4c3ab07

This is probably enough for your trunk. Unless you are going for SPL numbers, you dont need full coverage like all the big builds on here.

Good luck.

i might just use liquid nails then. i dont see my car ever not needing sound deadener and that stuff is cheap.

i hate having to take a ghetto route, especially when originally sound deadener was in my build budget...but thanks to UPS smashing my woofer (it was mounted nicely in a wooden crate...) and trying to fight me on the damage claim i am over budget pretty bad. i had to spend another $500 just to get a new woofer.

so yeah for anyone that doesn't already know DON'T ship subwoofers or anything heavy with UPS. i've talked to a lot of bass heads about it and apparently it is pretty common with them. FedEx is the way to go.

alright, well i helped a friend out and made a little spare cash so i might just buy a bulk pack of damplifier pro. the trunk kit is $115, the bulk pack is $120 and comes with 10 square feet more. it is 'b-stock' but oh well.

and with the damplifier pro i won't need a heat gun right?

Archived