2002 Intrepid Beginner System

Thanks Cory, but my box was built (although it may look like a prefab box) by my brother and my grandfather who is a carpenter, and I'm very happy with it :) If I do decide to do a redesign I know where I'll go, but for now I haven't even broken this box in yet, so I'll keep it for now. Thanks for the help though! :)

9q3t.jpg

gx24.jpg

needbasssig.gif
My Build Log

j84l.jpg

Heros get remembered, but legends never die.

I don't think the port configuration is ideal, that's all. They are too far apart IMO. And I would have them both either facing with or adjacent to the sub.

Not knocking, I have a budget build as well, so I know the ideal solution is not an option all the time. I'm just recommending for the future.

Keep us updated! :detail:

Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. icon_nuts.gif

Here's my latest build.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/181273-89-c1500-build-log/

Oh ok, yea you have a good point, I keep that in mind if I do a rebuild :)

For now the car is in storage for the winter due to carpooling with my brother to college, so we probably won't be seeing any progress or updates to the log at least until the snow melts and my dad lets me pull the car outta the shed.

needbasssig.gif
My Build Log

j84l.jpg

• 1 month later...

Made it home on a nice weather weekend, and I got to pull the car outta storage and work on it a little bit! :D Of course from sitting untouched since early December the battery was dead :/ So we had to jump start it and let it run for a bit before even playing any tunes. Got it moving and brought it by the house to work on it. So I vacuumed it out since there was still salt in it from the insane winter. After that, I got to do what I've been wanting to do since Christmas: adjust the RCAs / clean up the wiring, and of course TEST IT!

Believe it or not, I never got to test my system once we put the new box in (besides playing it quietly to make sure all the connections were correct). The reason being that we originally thought we'd just be able to slide the new box in and hook everything up, when really it took us 2.5 hours to put the new box in. It was about 2:00am when we finally got the box squeezed into the car. And being a kid who lives with his parents I woulda been sleeping in the back yard if I tested my system at this time lol :P

Anyway, on to the pics!

This is as clean as I was able to get the wiring. I gotta think up some kinda trick to hide the wires better, but for now I'm happy with how it looks compared to most beginner systems I've seen :)

10152518_645776395495083_797243795163568

1660344_645776325495090_4174800649363439

I'm also impressed with how much trunk space I still have!

10173731_645776275495095_787770580266439

10176103_645776288828427_589916000512909

10156153_645776312161758_337038959890306

And just cuz I took this pic and like it :P

10170824_645776372161752_717391935985534

I would have taken a video but it was just windy enough this weekend that all you woulda heard on a video was wind so I'll try n get one later.

That's all for now guys! I might have more happening some time toward the end of April but my car won't be insured again until half way through May so until then it's staying parked in our shed at home :/ We'll see what happens! Thanks for any interest in my build! :D

needbasssig.gif
My Build Log

j84l.jpg

Do you have any of that green 4 ga wire left if so wrap it in black tape and use it as a ground, because different sized wires for you power and ground are a no no, and it doesn't look good either. Also here's a pic of my hand made copper lugs it's 4 bucks for 12" section so you can make at least 6 of them, 8 if you make them like mine and they work fine I use them quite often.

DSC00337_zps551cbe9b.jpg

Definitely upgrade that ground there and be sure to sand away the paint and use a nut and bolt if you can, not just a screw.

Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. icon_nuts.gif

Here's my latest build.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/181273-89-c1500-build-log/

• 1 month later...

Do you have any of that green 4 ga wire left if so wrap it in black tape and use it as a ground

Yea this. You need a nice ground for that amp for safety reasons.

• 8 months later...

Yea I know, I don't have any left. Hasn't been a problem yet but I know it's a safety hazard. I bought 16ft of green 4ga wire on Amazon thinking that would be more than plenty for everything I intended to use it for. Turns out my car is a freaking mini limousine and I wound up using all 16ft for just the power run... Maybe in a couple months I can get more, but for now I don't have the time or weather to make the change. The car is sitting in storage for winter right now anyway so not a big problem since it's not being ran the way it's wired.

Do you have any of that green 4 ga wire left if so wrap it in black tape and use it as a ground, because different sized wires for you power and ground are a no no, and it doesn't look good either. Also here's a pic of my hand made copper lugs it's 4 bucks for 12" section so you can make at least 6 of them, 8 if you make them like mine and they work fine I use them quite often.

DSC00337_zps551cbe9b.jpg

Definitely upgrade that ground there and be sure to sand away the paint and use a nut and bolt if you can, not just a screw.

My biggest issue with wiring is my amp really isn't built to have more than 8ga wire shoved into it...

pb717x.jpg

And I have no idea where to get connectors like those and I have no talent to make some myself. Might just be time for a different amp if I can afford one... My amp only has plastic terminals with screws in them that push a clamp down as you can see in that googled pic. I'm not really able to change it to a nut and bolt. It would be nice though.

I'm thinking of just buying like 20 feet of black 4ga wire (which would make the setup look cleaner in the back with the black box and the dark trunk) from the same place I got my green wire and run that as both the power and ground (marked differently with like a white stripe or something ofc) and use the 16ft of green for the big 3 in the engine bay. I have yet to do that too. And to top it all off I need a fuse block on the power wire, because right now it's just a hard wired run from my fuse box to my amp. Terribly unsafe I know, but I haven't had time, weather, or resources to remedy these issues, so this is just how the car sits at the moment. That, and I'm not horribly scared of it going bad because I only have a cheap Amazon-bought amp. I know it's not a good excuse and I'm still weary about it the way it sits. Really hoping to correct this whole wiring mess this summer, we'll see what happens.

needbasssig.gif
My Build Log

j84l.jpg

Shit bro I have some old wires laying around probably even a fuse holder. How long do you need? SMD has been good to me and I should pay it forward. If your interested message me.

And tax time coming up and alot of guys will be upgrading used equipment can be found cheap.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Archived