Engine Rebuild, or Go through?

So I have a 94 Ford F350 with a 7.5l motor in it. I bought it about 2 years ago, and have been dumping money into it left and right. Not into the motor per say, although there have been some fixes. I've replaced a few things, rotor, dist cap, plugs, wires, minor things like that. But I'm going to have this thing for a long time, and I'm wondering what it would take to go through the motor and clean it up a bit? Is that considered a rebuild? If you go that far and it's not a rebuild, should I just consider a rebuild? Does anyone have any idea what a rebuild or going through a motor would or should cost roughly?

It's not something I think has to be done, but it's been used pretty well, dirty motor for sure, burns oil, etc. I know the previous owners used to tow a 5th wheel (32' I think) alot.

So I'm just wondering what might be a good idea to do to it? Oh it also has a completely rebuilt tranny, rebuilt brake system, new ac condenser, and some other things. Going to lift it when I get moved into my new place where I can let it sit and not be rushed.

Thanks guys!

My dad had a 96 F250 ext cab, 460 auto with 4wd with a set of 4.11's, true duals, long tubes, cat delete, over sized radiator, oversized tranny cooler, and a different fan clutch.. I'll ask him what the best stuff to do to a 460 is longevity wise. That E40D is a tank of a tranny, and it's rebuilt so your good in that department. Honestly, I think he will just say go through it and replace the gaskets, and get the heads cleaned up. He'll be home in a bit so I'll have to get back to you.

What I say? Just don't drive it, it'll kick you in your ass cheek everytime you start it. Drinks gas like an alcoholic prostitute drinks crown. But it's wayyy to fun of a truck to just not drive it.

If your moving close to OK, then we have a camper shell for it if you'd want it.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Thanks for the info. NO I'm only moving across town here in Sacramento. So too far. I'd love to put a shell on it though, for sound reasons (blow thru) and for fuel economy reasons, as well as cool factor. I think the lifted trucks with a shell on them look sick!

It's definitely not my daily. We bought it cause I'm a contractor, or was, and I still do jobs, but also for traveling/camping. We're going to be getting a travel trailer or a 5th wheel in the next couple years so I want to make sure it's good to go before I start towing all over the state.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing back from you.

My grandpa bought the truck brand new in 96, got a 5th wheel hitch installed, the oversized radiator and tranny cooler, and the 4.11's stuck in. Pulled a 32 ft 5th wheel, might have been a 28 or 29 footer, through the Rockies 6 or 7 times, took it from Grand Junction to all over Utah, down here to Oklahoma a few times, and never had a problem with it. Back when we moved from Sulphur to Duncan(roughly 70 miles) we pulled the 5th wheel and a small 16 ft bass boat with out any problem at all, together. 460's are monster's man. Truck had 92k on it when we sold it 2-3ish years ago. Has right under 94k on it now, lol.

My list, if I was to buy the truck back, would be already installed oversized radiator and tranny cooler, I'd do an aftermarket power steering cooler, and deleting the EGR system.

Forgot about Cali's strick ass emission laws with EGR. It's not really worth ditching it half the time, according to him.

My dad said the best thing to do is go through it and get it cleaned up like I said, replace the coolers/radiators and gaskets, although not all models came with the PS cooler. The big thing to do that we never got around to is putting a high volume oil pump on it. One like this... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6600-a460

If California wasnt such an asshole about emissions a 7.3 PSD or Cummins swap could make it into a half decent daily driver, but you can't put a diesel into a non-diesel out there, iirc.

If your going to pull the engine out and apart, you could do a hone and re-ring. Replace the main and rod bearings, check the cam bearings for ware, if no groves or top layer ware down to the copper, you could re-use those. It would be smart to do a hone and ring at the least if you have it apart anyway. The heads could have the guides checked and new seals. Putting electric fans on and getting rid of the belt driven fan will increase your mileage quite a bit. The trans in those trucks can be helped out quite a bit buy putting in an external cooler and deeper pan for more volume. Heat is the biggest enemy of those trans. The 460's with that trans usually isn't a problem but the power strokes produce more torque then that trans can withstand and it usually starts with the torque converter.

You can do a freshen up of that engine fairly cheap. Get a complete rebuild or re-ring kit from summitracing.com. The high volume oil pump isn't a must have unless your going for high rpm. A severe duty pump would be plenty. Make sure the distributor turns freely when you have it out and make sure to lube the bearings or replace them if the shift moves. Free up the exhaust and intake and it will run good for you. There's more carb legal stuff available every day so shop around.

Archived