Second Skin Audio

LEDs on subs

Bradprobert

but then it isn't actually connected to the sub itself... I want them partially so I can see when each sub hits... so like if for whatever reason the subs aren't in phase with eachother for example I can actually see it

Why would that matter? If they get the same signal they should be in phase.. If they arent getting the same signal then if you dont have the right equipment to set it up why are they in the same box?

On the whole LED thing, seriously do not plug your led light crap into the amplifier terminals! The audio equipment is for just that, audio, if you hook lights up to the terminals (some idiots will always argue that it'll work) you are forcing the equipment to do things it was not designed to do. Your amplifier and subs WILL feel those LEDs on that line and although you dont notice, it will do damage. The engineers that designed that subwoofer and amplifier are a hell of a lot smarter than you and they designed it for AUDIO, not redneck wiring. Just buy a light module and set up your system correctly and you wont have a problem, no need to see if your woofers are "in phase" and no need to rig wiring incorrectly. Spend the little bit extra and do it right the FIRST time.

...end of rant...

Thank you for saving me from typing all this out bro :)

Hooking up LEDs directly to your speaker terminals is like maxing out the gain because it "works"

I don't understand? It worked for 4 years without any ill effects to anything to my system and the LEDs still work perfectly.

It worked because you aint loud son! :P

Lol true, I'm not loud at all xD. But hopefully when I get my new system I'll be loud but that's just wishful thinking :D.

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

http://www.hitlights.com/ls-music144w.html does anyone know about this? it has a plug that seems like it's for a specific kind of light unit but it doesn't look like the lights come with the controller

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

http://www.hitlights.com/ls-music144w.html does anyone know about this? it has a plug that seems like it's for a specific kind of light unit but it doesn't look like the lights come with the controller

Yep this is the latest controller I've bought.

Haven't actually tried it yet but I really like the features that this unit has.

Don't worry about the plugs.

There are removable headers on both sides with screw terminals if you only have bare wires.

It only has a microphone input so if you want it hardwired to an audio input, you'll need another one.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

This shit cray

Haven't actually tried it yet but I really like the features that this unit has.

There are removable headers on both sides with screw terminals if you only have bare wires.

It only has a microphone input so if you want it hardwired to an audio input, you'll need another one.

I haven't even seen any yet that hard wired in... as a matter of fact I've mostly just seen a whole bunch of that one I haven't really seen anything else online yet in my searching... am I searching the wrong thing? I'm pretty sure I was searching sound activated LED controller. ok so if I instead of buying that strip just bought strings of single color lights and wired each string to a different color kinda thing that would work too? I just wouldn't be able to get like the yellows and oranges and other colors that were mixtures of colors if I did it that way

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

I haven't even seen any yet that hard wired in... as a matter of fact I've mostly just seen a whole bunch of that one I haven't really seen anything else online yet in my searching... am I searching the wrong thing? I'm pretty sure I was searching sound activated LED controller. ok so if I instead of buying that strip just bought strings of single color lights and wired each string to a different color kinda thing that would work too? I just wouldn't be able to get like the yellows and oranges and other colors that were mixtures of colors if I did it that way

There's lots of options.

This is the first one I used, which I believe the microphone got damaged:

http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalersTM-Controller-Remote-Changing-3322RGB/dp/B005AQPU5Y/ref=pd_cp_MI_3

This is the latest one I got:

http://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Activated-Controller-Changing-Plug-And-Play/dp/B007RGRJ36

Is there something about these that you don't like?

There are also controllers with RF (wireless) remotes. The ones above are IR.

Try a search in Amazon and then cycle through the suggested other options at the bottom of the page.

Sure, there are simple LED controllers for single-color LED strips. Just a positive and negative wire.

You really don't need a controller at all if they are designed as 12V strips. Just a question of how much control you want over them.

I don't think the single color LED strips are really any cheaper though.

Might as well just get the RGB LED strip with a controller and you can set it to a constant color.

Or hell, if you want just hard-wire 12V to one of the three terminals on the RGB LED strip and you'll get a constant color.

FYI: An RGB (multicolor) LED strip has four terminals.

One for Red, one for Green-Yellow, one for Blue. Last one is +V.

The controller just pulses the cathode of each LED to make your selected color.

All the controllers have simple connection methods.

Some include headers which simply plug into your LED strip if the strip already has a matching header on it.

Or most have screw terminal strips where you simply hard-wire each your four separate wires.

We can start here, what options do you want and how much do you want to spend?

LED controller will run you anywhere from ~$25 to $50 depending on options and where you get it.

LED strips probly $10 to $30 depending on type and where you get it.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

There's lots of options.

This is the first one I used, which I believe the microphone got damaged:

http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalersTM-Controller-Remote-Changing-3322RGB/dp/B005AQPU5Y/ref=pd_cp_MI_3

This is the latest one I got:

http://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Activated-Controller-Changing-Plug-And-Play/dp/B007RGRJ36

Is there something about these that you don't like?

There are also controllers with RF (wireless) remotes. The ones above are IR.

Try a search in Amazon and then cycle through the suggested other options at the bottom of the page.

Sure, there are simple LED controllers for single-color LED strips. Just a positive and negative wire.

You really don't need a controller at all if they are designed as 12V strips. Just a question of how much control you want over them.

I don't think the single color LED strips are really any cheaper though.

Might as well just get the RGB LED strip with a controller and you can set it to a constant color.

Or hell, if you want just hard-wire 12V to one of the three terminals on the RGB LED strip and you'll get a constant color.

FYI: An RGB (multicolor) LED strip has four terminals.

One for Red, one for Green-Yellow, one for Blue. Last one is +V.

The controller just pulses the cathode of each LED to make your selected color.

All the controllers have simple connection methods.

Some include headers which simply plug into your LED strip if the strip already has a matching header on it.

Or most have screw terminal strips where you simply hard-wire each your four separate wires.

We can start here, what options do you want and how much do you want to spend?

LED controller will run you anywhere from ~$25 to $50 depending on options and where you get it.

LED strips probly $10 to $30 depending on type and where you get it.

no no I don't have a problem with it I was just saying cuz you said there were some that actually wire right into the RCA right? I was just saying I haven't been able to find any like that yet. I was looking at getting one of these for the sound response feature so I could have them flash when the bass hits I plan on putting the lights inside my box so that it flashes through the port and maybe a few situated around the subs haven't decided yet. I really don't necessarily want anything super fancy with alot of different colors or nothing I just want something that will pulse to the beat. I had originally planned on doing that by plugging them straight into the sub wiring but this thread has said many many times now that you shouldn't do that so I was looking for a controller to do it.

My Build Log

Archived