Second Skin Audio

using multiple aero ports

bassfreake

I designed a box to use and it's got 2 6" aero ports in it... just wondering has anyone tried/know what it would do if you made the ports 2 different lengths? would it make it tune the box to more than 1 frequency (giving a little wider range) kinda like how a 4th order gets the lows from the sealed portion and the highs from the high tuned ported portion? or would it just muddle up everything and make it sound funky all around? or would it wind up just tuning the box to the average of the 2 port lengths?

(for those of you that are going to attack me for even thinking this I'm not saying I'm planning on doing it it's just a question that came to mind and it made me wonder what would happen... in other words it is a hypathetical question)

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

You can do this, but there is not a good formula to predict the results. Just have to test it to get the results you want.

We used a box in Peterbilt trucks for years that had two different lengths ports in it. Due to the shape, there was really no other choice.

As far as the frequency range - I have explained this before: for a normal ported box, the tuning frequency does not limit the upper frequency response. The sub and the low pass crossover will determine where the upper frequencies roll off. You can tune higher and get a peak at higher frequencies, but that is different. I think this is why some people get confused.

Look at most home speakers - I am using 2 ways in my HT. Boxes tuned to 30 Hz with woofers that are crossed over at 1.8kHz.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

It honestly would not work how you are intending it to work. I know it sounds logical, to tune at different frequencies for a wider bandwidth, but it would really just change the overall tuning of the box.

If you would like a very good range you might want to look into a sealed enclosure. As long as your not looking for "high output."

06 Police TahoeHU- Pioneer 80prsAmp- Crossfire 8kSub- 4 15" Crossfire xs v2sWire- 1/0 Knu/AudiotechnixAlt- 3 Mechman SMD 340sBatts- 6 XS Power 3100s, 2400

It honestly would not work how you are intending it to work. I know it sounds logical, to tune at different frequencies for a wider bandwidth, but it would really just change the overall tuning of the box.

If you would like a very good range you might want to look into a sealed enclosure. As long as your not looking for "high output."

that's what I figured it would probably more likely just tune the box to the average of the 2 lengths or something but just thought I'd check... and yea I had a sealed box for my 15s but I am thinking of going to ported on 12s so I can get more volume... also while it might not be a problem I would feel hesitant to do a sealed box that is running ~8k watts... especially when I'm doing one of the walls in 1" plexi and doing a small light show inside the box lol though if I did go sealed I could probably do 3 12s instead of 2 :-P but I'm pretty sure all that would accomplish is having to dump an extra 4kw into the subs and probably still not get as much volume and then I'm walking around going "yea I got a 12kw system!!" and then I'm barely hitting 135dB lol I'm kinda tryina go with I think someone called it SQL...

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

Archived