Sundown Audio

Digital Designs M4 and Z1 protection "issues"

AmmoJammo

Pretty sure it's a input voltage issue .. An protection circuit issue.. I had same problem until m amp guy modded my protection circuit .. Anything under 1 ohm dd amps like to protect full tilt .. Wire it up I bet it goes away .. Turn gain down also an add more batterys

In my setup, impedance is rising to about 2.3ohm (across the two amps) at 40Hz (where its loudest) The track I bass race with is Thug Motivation, which is pretty much 40Hz.

I can get a full scroll on tones or music, but if its at full volume (or close to it in the case of music) for more than about 5 seconds, one amp goes in to protect.

I gained about 1dB when bass racing by removing two extra batteries I'd added (just lead acid, but good for a few hundred amps worth of "top up")

Friends situation is almost identical, fully charge the battery bank, start playing music, and 5 seconds later, M4 goes in to protect.

I dont think you understand.

you only have enough power in your vehicle for a 2000w amp or a quick burp on a 3500.

mixing agm and lead acid is not recommended and could be why its worse when you add the other batts

you do not want to run those amps under 12.5 @.5

Banner_468x60.jpg

REP

a lot of people are saying there isn't enough electrical, but the OP clearly states that the more voltage, the ore the amps are protecting... low voltage is not has been asked, and i will actually disagree that there isn't enough power supply... certainly not enough to beat on it for hours, but again, we're talking about competition use, so a 3 seconds bass races or a couple of seconds worth of burping there's plenty of power there... think about street class cars running 20kw off a single batt in the engine bay 15' away from the amps...

as per the issue, my guess would be some kind of over current protection on the boards, @ .5ohm per board the draw will be quite substantial, and the extra voltage thru the rails will exacerbate the issue... protection circuitry cuts in and sends the amp into protect...

get in there and isolate the protection circuitry, i'm sure you could change out a resistor etc for a different value to raise the trip point...?

SMD-1.png

Are they getting warm?

What is the voltage when fully charged and while charging?

It is possible that it is your headunit.

The amp has voltage,thermal,short and DC offset protection.

It protects if the voltage goes above 15V, which shouldn't be the case if you are using 12v batteries.

The amps are not made to be stable down to .5 ohms, it is clearly stated in the manual.

DC offset protection starts working if the HU sends out more then 4V DC, which could be the culprit because if the HU get's more power it also puts out more power, so it is possible.

Are you running the amps strapped/daisy chained at .5 ohm?

Just to make it more clear, the amps are not made for .5 ohm and shouldn't be ran into clipping at .5 ohm!

This, every strappable amp ive seen, (these korean builds) usually have a 1 ohm rating, and is 0.5 ohm stable, that being said when strapping the 2 amps, full power impedance is usually rated at 2 ohms for full power output,

My crescendo is rated at 3800w rms at 1 ohm, then strapping suggests no lower than 2 ohms to recieve the full 7600w rms power output

EDIT: just saw what his rise was, so that goes against what I just said, unless it is truly dropping below 2 ohms somewhere,

XS-power1.jpg

He needs to check voltage at amp.

This thread is now over

We need to know what voltage drop is AT THE AMP! While playing music

He's wired way to low for the electrical! I don't give a fuck what his rise is! Way to low to play music which he is clearing doing

And before u go say shit....

I have a ab 750.1 at .25 with more batteries and alts than you after 5 sec my voltage CAN get low.... And ur amps will protect

Ur issuer sounds like a coil rub issue from gaussing where the could heats up to quick and rubs the former on the pole making it rub ad short then protecting the amps

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

that doesn't make sense Cortez, the rise is what the amp is seeing, the amp will only act upon that resistance, it's not seeing the 2+ohm load and saying "well i know this is actually wired lower so i'm going to protect now"

the OP has used bass race and burping as examples, so we can safely assume we're dealing with tones, and frequencies around peak, away from dropping back down to nominal impedance...

it has also been made clear that the amp DOES NOT go into protect when running off LESS power supply ad less voltage, but it DOES go into protect when the voltage is increased... so continually bringing up a lack of power and needing more power is completely missing the point of the OP's question...

SMD-1.png

Archived