Sundown Audio

Digital Designs M4 and Z1 protection "issues"

AmmoJammo

A friend and I each have a pair of amps strapped (he has the M4's (silver, if this makes a difference), I have the original Z1's)

We are bother running them at 0.5ohm each, he has two 18's, I have four 12's.

We're both running them off 12volt batteries... he has a bank of six big lead acid batteries, while I'm running a big AGM, and a smaller up front.

The issue we have both found, is that if we keep the voltage up, the amps go in to protect...

In his situation, if he charges his battery bank fully, he can't play music "flat out" without the slave amp shutting down....

In my situation, if I add more batteries, the amp (I assume slave) will shut down more often too!

But why?!

I can bass race a higher score, with less batteries, because the amp goes into protect...

Trust me, they're at 0.5ohm each amp.

I have four dual 2 ohm subs, each sub is wired at 4ohm, then all four in parallel, connected to the two bridged amps.

My mate has two dual 4ohm subs, all four voice coils in parallel (two on each sub) connected to the two bridged amps.

From memory, I'd found the Z1 amps to do the same thing, even when wired at a higher, or lower impedance... more batteries = more protect!

Are you saying in both cases your car and your friends car that both amps go into protect? Also its worth saying that the two cars should be treated separately. Imo its not ideal to assume they are both having the exact same issue.

If you can bass race with less bats and both amps in your car are fine. Then you add a batt and you have issues.. try taking the bat back out. If it goes back to working fine. Then you have isolated your problem. Maybe the new bat is dead. Charge it separately. See if that helps. How do you know what the voltage is? Are you just assuming the voltage is better? If the new bat has a bad cell then your bank will perform much worse and likely cause low voltage protection..

In trouble shooting you need to provide every detail. Start with simple issues before looking into the more complex ones..you could have easily over looked something.

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

you problem sounds like it might be a internal problem because it make no sense that with higher voltage it cuts out earlier. you can try changing the slave rca out for another one.

if your friend is dropping below 12v i would suspect that.

you might want to clamp your amps to find what imp your rising to.

did you guys tune your amps by ear or dd-1/oscope??

Banner_468x60.jpg

REP

what killer said might have a bad batt in there . even if you see voltage does not mean you have current

Banner_468x60.jpg

REP

Yes, both setups have the amp go into protect.

The extra batteries I've added are fine, my friends issue only arises when his batteries are fully charged.

I assume its some function of the protection circuit, that with the extra voltage becomes more sensitive...

The issue always seems to arise when pushing the amps into clipping, just as they're getting loudest!

Gains were set with LOUD!

Are they getting warm?

What is the voltage when fully charged and while charging?

It is possible that it is your headunit.

The amp has voltage,thermal,short and DC offset protection.

It protects if the voltage goes above 15V, which shouldn't be the case if you are using 12v batteries.

The amps are not made to be stable down to .5 ohms, it is clearly stated in the manual.

DC offset protection starts working if the HU sends out more then 4V DC, which could be the culprit because if the HU get's more power it also puts out more power, so it is possible.

Are you running the amps strapped/daisy chained at .5 ohm?

Just to make it more clear, the amps are not made for .5 ohm and shouldn't be ran into clipping at .5 ohm!

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Archived