Fuzz Posted March 1, 2013 Report Posted March 1, 2013 I would like to run a pair of Cerwin Vega pro 6.5" mids in the rear dors of my truck. I have a 4x75@4ohm/4x125@2ohm amp. Now these speakers are rated up to 100 watt rms and I am sure the 75 I can offer will suffice. However lets say I am not satisfied and would like to add a set of Cerwin Vega pro 1" tweters which are rated at 50 watts rms. Will I have enough power to run these on the same channel with the mids? (I know there are other options as far as brands go, but I have already made my decision with these so please don't bother with the suggestions.) And how should I connect them to the amp? They are both 4 ohm speakers, but can I safely run a 2 ohm load to them? I must be over thinking this because my brain feels like it's being pulled apart. What I am thinking is I can run from the amp to the mid and the mid to the tweeter (these have built in crossover) matching all polarity. Is this called Paralell or Series?
Kevin M Posted March 1, 2013 Report Posted March 1, 2013 That idea is no bueno. You need to keep them on seperate channels or use a passive x-over that you can hook both of them up to then to the amp 2005 Ford Focus zx4 AMT's and Planars 18" Infinite baffle
XmaximuS Posted March 1, 2013 Report Posted March 1, 2013 Are you bridging the 4ch amp down to 2ch? The minimal load is 4ohms after bridging. Unless the manufactuer says that the 4ch amp is stable at 1ohm on all 4 channels. If they dont specify it. I wouldn't chance damaging it and could void any warrantee if you got it.. The other way is clearly well said by TheScottishBear. MY BUILD LOG>>>> NAH I BETTER NOT..
Fuzz Posted March 2, 2013 Author Report Posted March 2, 2013 Not bridging it, I have the front channel hooked up to a pair of components. I just want more volume from the rear so I want to go with the high out piut mid drivers. But I am wondering about maybe later on adding the tweeters. I figure setting the amp at 100hrtz highpass should work for the mid range drivers. These particular tweeters have built in crossovers, so I don't understand why I would need anything else. I guess my question really is, can I run a 4 channel amp with the front channel at 4 ohms and the rear at 2 ohms?
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.