Sundown Audio

Need help repairing amplifier

Jzzt

The part that is broken looks like a thermistor. Those are what shut the amp down and throw it in protect when the amp gets too hot. As long as the thermistor itself is not bad you should be able to just solder it back on and run with it. I am not sure if that would make the amp go on and off though unless it was making contact and breaking contact as well when it was playing. For $100 id say go for it and see if thats all there is to it. I don't see any blown transistors, caps, coils or resistors. And so you know the braided sleeve is for thermal and conductivity protection. It helps from the legs of the thermistor from getting too hot and failing (you really have to cook the amp to get it to that point) and also serve as a protection so that if the legs of the thermistor hit the casing of the amp, it wouldn't ground out.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Hey thanks for the reply

It could have been making and breaking contact, I pulled it up just to take a picture of it but it was laying on top of the little solder puddle, I just looked over the whole amp and all the connections are solid, I will resolder this back on tonight and if I have time tomorrow I'll hook it up to my type r @ 2ohms, well see what happens.

edit, another issue, one of the legs of this coild is not soldered correctly (at all) it is loose

the leg on the left

wow that is one hell of a hack job lol. That will deff prevent the amp from working right. I would think that it belongs in there with the other wire but id need to check the layout of those transformers to see how they are wired to know for sure. Id see if anyone on here can suggest as they may have the same amp as yours to see how its wired. It looks like someone at some point in time had tried to fix the amp and that it was burnt up or had been shocked so badly from the bass with it being mounted to a poorly braced enclosure that it cracked the transformer free. It takes a ton of heat to get solder to melt and do that so I strongly doubt that the amp overheated and caused this to happen. Someone must have been screwing around in there before or it broke free and shorted out to get the solder hot enough to melt.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

From left to right all the transistors say this

Each

IRF3205

IR 940P

EK YH

IRF3205

IR 940P

EL 2K

Now this is how they are

1 1 2 2 2 1 2 1 1 1 1 2

I would appreciate it if someone could help me out with this, no idea where to look for these.

Archived