New to home audio but not new to car audio

Hi everyone,

As the title says I am not new to audio as I have been doing car audio builds over the last 10 years. I am new to home audio however. I recently bought my first house and want to do a surround sound style home theater. In the past my experience has been limited to plug and play pre fab setups. I want to get away from that and build my own.

My budget is not firm, but somewhere around $400. I already have an LG 55" LED and blueray player.

My initial thoughts are two towers holding a 8" woofer, 6.5" and tweeter. Two more towers would be for a 6.5" and tweeter. The room is about 12x12.

So the question is what do I look for? Would the amplifier serve the purpose of the crossover, or would I need to have separate ones? Can someone help with parts list? This will serve both as the audio for the tv and movies along with music I can run off my iPad.

Can anyone lend some insight?

Thanks!

Dave

Have you ever checked out Partsexpress.com?

They have lots of DIY speaker building kits.

Plans, parts, speakers, electrical components, crossovers, etc.

Do you have an audio receiver/amp yet?

That will be your biggest expense.

For true home theater you'll want all your speakers/enclosures the same all around you so you have similar sound and nothing's overpowering the others.

You wanting a self powered sub or something that is powered from your audio receiver/amp?

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Archived