External crossover question...

This is something totally different than the 100hz filter on your amp.

Let me start with this: Do you know why you use crossovers in the first place?

This is something totally different than the 100hz filter on your amp.

Let me start with this: Do you know why you use crossovers in the first place?

Yes, im quite sure why we need crossovers!! Lol. I just need the CORRECT one for my application. Ive been in the game a long time and know what purpose each serves but technology has changed some over the years.

Ok perfect.

The crossover in your amplifier is only capable of blocking out the low range. You are blocking out both the midrange and low range from your tweeters by using crossovers for them.

But your mids, which need both the low and high range blocked require a crossover to block those frequencies. Since your amp can block the low range on it's own, you only need a crossover to block the high range. make sense?

To do that, you have one of two choices: you can built/buy your own passive crossovers, or you can run active crossovers. My preference would be for active, as it is more efficient and gives you greater customization over your crossover frequencies, but it sounds like you are choosing the route of running passive.

I did some poking around and found what you would need for this

Just wire this on the positive wire going to your mids and you are good to go

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=255-200

So you are saying wire 1 of these little gadgets inline with my mids??? Not sure about that, never seen that done anywhere unless u sent me the wrong link..

255-200_s.jpg

If you aren't sure about it then don't do it lol. It's an inductor: a -6b/octave high pass filter set at 6kHz in your case

If you aren't sure about it then don't do it lol. It's an inductor: a -6b/octave high pass filter set at 6kHz in your case

Lol I aint trying to use something I have to duct tape up!! Lol. Id rather just use an external crossover or something a little less intimidating! Lol..

There is nothing intimidating about it. It's a coil of wire. Same parts that are inside a crossover - you are just plucking out the piece you need lol

Don't take this the wrong way: but stop being a pussy. I'm trying to give you the solutions you need and you are acting like it's a space-rock or something. I get that you are unfamiliar with it, but this is how this stuff works. You won't find any crossovers that will do what you need - not passive ones at least. So you need to make your own, and knowledge is power. Do a quick google search on this stuff. Instead of glazing over when you see terms that you don't know, search for those ;) I can only hold your hand through this so much - by purchasing individual components, you made the decision to take on the crossovers yourself. This is just something you will either need to learn to trust what people say

Parts express has a plethora of crossover making supplies: they even have pre-made boards where all you do is add your own components. It's really easy stuff: search for a crossover calculator, get the parts it says you need, put it together in the manner it suggests and you are done.

Look... All I'm getting at is that we live in the 21st century - a whole WORLD of information is at your fingertips. Both my self and everyone else on this forum is willing to help you, but it's hard to help you when you stick your nose up at things just because it's new to you.

You can switch to active and this will be easier, but I'm working off the assumption that you have made the decision to go passive because you bought the tweeter crossovers. I might be wrong, but that's my interpretation :unknw:

And that part I linked to you above. See it on this crossover? ;)

3_xo.jpg

No harm done but FAR from a pussy! Dont get it twisted!! Lol. Anywhoot, I know what the brass cyclone is and where ive seen it, just never heard if anyone use it alone. Learn something everyday! I never put the idea of active out of the equation I just figured I couldnt do it with what I have. Its still an option if I could definately do this!! And I have a steady hand and could try to build a crossover. Now since im running 4 mids in parallel to run a 2 ohm load on the DC, if I wanted to go the xover route, I would need 4 of those inducters right?? And I DEFINATELY appreciate all the help u are offering! You get a three thumbs up in my book! What would I need to go active with my setup??

You cheapest bet to do what you are looking to do is to get one of these

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_30403_AudioControl-2XS.html

They aren't like a normal crossover where they have knob and you can adjust the crossover points. They take a special resistor-chip(which you can make yourself) to set the crossover frequency

If you want to move to something you can adjust, you are getting into the $200 range. You might be asking: why can't I get a cheaper crossover? It's because they don't offer a low-pass option for your mids so they aren't trying to play what your tweeter does.

Would I be correct in assuming you have PWX6.5s? They don't like being crossed over any higher than 3.5k - 4k at the most. So I'd set that as your crossover point.

More on creating these crossover chips on the second page of the manual

http://www.sound-better.net/Support/Manuals/Autosound/2XS%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

Archived