External crossover question...

Ok hope this is in the right section.. Anyhow, I have (4) PWX's 4 ohms each and I just ordered a pair of the new 4 ohm Skar Super tweets. I also ordered a DC Audio 175.4 from a buddy on SMD!! I want to run the 4 pwx's on two channels for a 2 ohm load then run the pair of tweets off the last two channels at 4 ohms. The crossover on the DC only goes to 300hz I believe and I know I cant run that tweets that low. Would I need a seperate crossover (kicker kx3..just example) or just get some inline crossovers like the crescendos for thier ft1's?

Your best bet would be to get/build some passive crossovers. A high pass for the tweeters, and a low pass for the mids. I have some passives laying around if you are interested in them, but they tend to need the impedance of the woofer and tweeter to be the same.

The PWXs don't seem to like being crossover above 3.5kHz, so I'd use that as your crossover point.

I dont have a clue on how to build crossovers, but would it benefit me to just get an external crossover? And passives u mean like the ones like the crescendos? I also seen that style at Parts Express.. I also read somewhere the pwx's should be crossed at 100 hz or am I wrong??

I don't think it's a benefit as much as it's a need

Just as you need to crossover your tweeters so they don't low/mid frequencies, you need to cross over your mids so they don't play high or low frequencies. Your amp can handle bass side of things as it's crossover is capable of doing that

If this isn't making much sense, pretty much you need to make sure your mids play the mid-range, and your tweeters play the high-range.

If you don't want to bother with passive crossovers, you can always run active

Building your own crossover is easier than you'd think. You can find crossover calculators that make this very easy

http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/XOver/

I'd suggest doing this:

Capture-45_zpse6afcf78.png

I went ahead and ordered 2 of the crescendo super tweeter 5khz crossovers. They said on the site I could use thwm. But my question is, there is no off switch on the DC 175.4 for the internal crossover, do I just run them inline on the tweets and the inline crossover takes over or is there something I have to switch on my deck. I have a Pioneer X9500BHS...

Nope just run them inline with your tweets

You doing to do anything for the mids?

Nope just run them inline with your tweets

You doing to do anything for the mids?

Ok cool on the tweets!! And not yet sure about the mids. Could I just run those off the amps crossover at about 100hz? Whats your input on that?

Remember what I said earlier? You need to stop the mids from playing high notes. Look for a 5kHz low pass filter

I myself have never heard of such a low pass, people keep telling me to set the crossover to 100hz for the mids lol.. Where could I get a low pass filter like the one you mentioned? I tried google but that leads me to home theater and something called butterfield filters..

Archived