Second Skin Audio

Kicker L5's smell wierd

Jzzt

Hey guys, a while ago I bought an amp and 2 subs for 100 bucks on craigs, I bought it just to resell it later and make some $$ out of it.

Here are pics of the subs/amp

The subs are 2 12" DVC 2 ohm L5's and the amp is a zx750.1 (subs wired @ 2 ohms, each getting ~350/600 they can take).

Kind of hard to see from pics below but one of the subs had 3 holes another one had 2 holes, (looks like they tried to steal them or w/e and punched holes in them with a screwdriver or something)

They also came with grills but I took them off.

I took them out of the box and changed the wiring inside it to some 12 gauge ofc cable and sealed up the terminals with silicone from the inside.

abslRYd6.jpg adzYQemk.jpg

Now I took a shot at using Quicksteel to seal up the holes, it looks like it has done the job so far, these last 2 days I have been playing them and they hit good (for the small sealed box they are in) but after a while they smell wierd.

I have done research through google and a lot of people say this could be just glue or something burning off. I dont know if it is that or if I am just playing under tuning frequency...

I wanted to get some opinions on this from you guys.

The gains were set with a little oscillocope I bought.

The subs dont look old, the suspension is actually pretty stiff on them.

Here are some pics of what I did, I sanded it real good on the top/bottom, have not painted them yet but yea.

abtewnOj.jpg acciA1MX.jpg adiMZITq.jpg acezQVEm.jpg abrpqeJS.jpg abdrmtOU.jpg acsGiVG9.jpg adsCMbSI.jpg advxZlnI.jpg acihTuDn.jpg abkujTe8.jpg adkFpk1q.jpg

What do you guys think that the smell could be? I played them before I fixed the holes but they sounded wierd/one moved more than the other, after I patched them they both move in phase but after a while smell.

Thanks in advance, hope I can get some answers on this, or at least opinions :)

a little dso nano v1 oscilloscope

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280801649780?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

With different firmware (BenF), it works good.

Edit: Also, I have never seen this before but as soon as the oscope started clipping, the amp started making a high pitched noise.

I backed it off to where the sine wave was round and the amp does not make any noise, I used a 40Hz -5db track found on this forum in the Tunez section I think.

I am going to take the subs out and look at the coils, till then.

@ Joe, inexpensive and it works good, until around ~1mHz which well you dont need that in car audio, only electronics, etc.

Im going to make a video of it, I just wish I knew someone with a dd1 or another oscope to compare it to (theres vids on youtube though comparing them to other oscopes)

Im pretty sure some people would go out and get this for what its worth and it does the job.

Kickers tend to smell funny when breaking in, my CVR12 did when I got it new, and did it again when fed it 900 rms nominal, then went away.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

I guess so, they are underpowered as well so I guess its just normal, I had 2 of the older L5s before but I also got those second hand, just comparing these to the ones I had a couple years ago, the suspension on these is really stiff and they dont look like they are moving much.

I'll just take it easy on them until I sell them.

Another quick question, what could I sell these on the street for more or less, after the "fix" I did?

Thanks for your answers btw guys

Archived