Sundown Audio

quick question

briang77

hey yall. I have a kenwood head unit. it has a low pass frequency setting for the sub output. My question is this : If I have the low pass frequency set at 80hz on the head unit, Should I have it set at 80hz on the amps crossover as well ? or should turn the low pass crossover on the amp to the highest frequency, then adjust it using the low pass crossover on the head unit ? or set it to through on the head unit and use the low pass crossover on the amp itself ? Which way will give the cleanest loudest bass

No, not yet im running two sets of 6 1/2 polk db 6501 off of a kenwood head unit. Just for now, until I get a 4 channel amp to run them. It does have a low,mid and high crossover frequency setting built into the head unit. I'm asking because if I run both crossovers I will end up with a 24 db per octave slope vs just using one, either the one in the headunit or the one on the amp, and only having a 12 db per octave slope. I'm not sure which is better to have 24 or 12 or, which one is safer, so I don't blow the subs. Also will it be a cleaner signal if I do not use the one in the head unit and only the one on the amp? I can set the crossovers built into the head unit to through also

You really just need to try it out and see what sounds better to you. The difference will be slight if anything. I am pretty sure using 2 12db slope filters over each other will still be only a 12db slope. I prefer a 24db slope for subs it sounds less muddy IMO. Tuning from the amp will allow you to dial in while most HU are fixed xover points.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Archived