Second Skin Audio

Choices...2 HCCA 12", or 1 HCCA 15"

ModestDb

Now before anyone bashes for going with Orion over any other brand, consider this factor. I have an opportunity to get a brand new HCCA 15" (the newest model) for $400 OR two brand new HCCA 12" subs (also the newest model) for $250 each. The decision to go with Orion is simply one of taking advantage of an opportunity. Either way, seems like a good deal to me. Keep in mind, I will be having an enclosure built with respect to either subs specs. No pre-fab/half-ass/particle board. I'm thinking 32-36hz since that range seems to please me most. Look on the bright side, I know for the most part, what I really want. :D

So knowing that I am going to get HCCA either way this goes, here is where I'm having trouble with the decision.

My power supply is 3200 rms. That's just the way it is for now. Maybe later I can purchase something more goal oriented.

I'd be overpowering the 15

Under powering the 12's

I'm sure both would be loud, hopefully (at a minimum) equal to my American Bass XFL 15", otherwise I would like louder.

So if you had to balance being loud vs lifespan, what would you say is the safer route for 6 months or so until I can change power supply?

If you said the under powered 12's would be louder than the AB-XFL 15" I currently have and that they'd live longer, then say no more it's a done deal.

If you think the HCCA 15" could survive, while being louder than 12's then I'd take that option.

I need to make a decision by next Friday. If you don't like the idea of me overpowering/under powering them, say so. I may just purchase them and let them sit until I change power supplies. I'm not the most patient person so it would be like giving a drug addict a fix and telling them they can't use it for 6 months. HA.

Thoughts?

4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm

Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm

32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications

XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator

Nothing wrong with under powering. The 15 would prolly do fine assuming less than 3200 after drop and rise etc. Even with 3200 actual, as long as your smart you'd be fine.

2 12s have more cone area than 1 15. So it'll be louder. They can handle a good bit more power obviously. The only real neg is the cost.

I vote 12s..

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

I originally replied to this with the intent to agree with what you just said but it came out sounding like I wasn't so I edited this lmao. Anyway, I don't find the cost as a negative. I'm covered on wiring, I'll get a discount on the enclosure, don't have to spend for power supply at the moment and considering their usual price, I have no complaints spending it.

Nothing wrong with under powering. The 15 would prolly do fine assuming less than 3200 after drop and rise etc. Even with 3200 actual, as long as your smart you'd be fine.

2 12s have more cone area than 1 15. So it'll be louder. They can handle a good bit more power obviously. The only real neg is the cost.
I vote 12s..

4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm

Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm

32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications

XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator

Archived