tempered glass or windshield?

The question i have is does anyone know what is stronger, as far as how much flex you can get out of either a windshield or tempered glass. I know that a windshield will crack but still stay intact because of the film layer inbetween the two layers of glass and tempered glass will shatter. I have alot of hatch glass flex (tempered) and very minimun windshield flex..just curious if its posibble or has anyone ever seen the tempered glass break from flex?

pretty sure tempered glass will kill you if you get in an accident. Many hot rod guys used tempered because it's cheaper. then they die from large pieces of glass to and in the face. If I were you I would just go the safe way and use a windshield.

pretty sure tempered glass will kill you if you get in an accident. Many hot rod guys used tempered because it's cheaper. then they die from large pieces of glass to and in the face. If I were you I would just go the safe way and use a windshield.

no maybe I worded the question wrong but, I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A TEMPERED WINDSHIELD.I AM asked about the rear hatch glass and its breakage point vs. Windshield breakage

they are not comparable as they are constructed differently. tempered glass is constructed to break into tiny pieces instead of shards that will slice you open. windshield glass is laminated glass that is constructed out of 2 pieces of glass with a clear laminate between the 2 glasses. tempered glass and regular glass have similar strengths but have different reactions to impact. ever seen what happens to tempered glass when its hit with a sledge hammer, it shatters into millions of pieces of glass, laminated glass cracks and shatters but doesn't break a part b/c the laminate film holds it together.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

no maybe I worded the question wrong but, I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A TEMPERED WINDSHIELD.I AM asked about the rear hatch glass and its breakage point vs. Windshield breakage

not sure in this case. My little 12" doesn't flex the windows in my car very much :(

I'm don't want a tempered windshield that is not what I AM asking as I have stated in the original post. I have concerns about the hatch glass breaking and was wondering how theycompared in strength

do you want PSI number? as I stated they are not the same as to the reaction they have to impact. strength of glass is based on thickness just like most other materials. I use to be a windows and door rep so I know a good bit about this.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Archived