Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Help Needed with a Sealed Enclosure for SA12 and E10


Recommended Posts

Posted

To answer your question, yes bigger box increase efficiency and low frequency response but you run the risk of bottoming out the sub if it's too big so for a given power there's a limit on the size of the box you should build.

Do you think a sub ... the likes of Sundown, could handle just a little bottoming out?

No sub can't take actual bottoming out for long, when a sealed box is way big sometimes using the subsonic filter can be useful just like you would do in a ported box but the best way is to do your box to match the power you are giving or have a big box and limit the power going to the sub.

I will say that I am kind of puzzled having read all the work you have done on t-lines that you have dismissed doing any research on these simple boxes.

Posted

To answer your question, yes bigger box increase efficiency and low frequency response but you run the risk of bottoming out the sub if it's too big so for a given power there's a limit on the size of the box you should build.

Do you think a sub ... the likes of Sundown, could handle just a little bottoming out?

No sub can't take actual bottoming out for long, when a sealed box is way big sometimes using the subsonic filter can be useful just like you would do in a ported box but the best way is to do your box to match the power you are giving or have a big box and limit the power going to the sub.

I will say that I am kind of puzzled having read all the work you have done on t-lines that you have dismissed doing any research on these simple boxes.

I've done a bit on sealed boxes, however I'm not confident on them. I'd rather get some advice from someone who's a bit more knowledgeable. I'm going to get started tomorrow, however my frind has two amp, one JL Slash and a Vibe Black Box, and he wants to mount them somewhere. I'm trying to something that will incorporate them. My friend wants something like this.

E-10 Dimensions are to cover the size of the amps

leighs-box-slanted.jpg

  • 1 month later...
Posted

Quick update:

The E-10 is phenomenal in a sealed enclosure. I was very skeptical, but both depth and output with E-10 far exceeded my expectations. windows closed it's as good as the SA. The SA does well but only with selected, more melodic music. With hard driven beats where bass is a more or less constant, rap, D&B the SA-12 doesn't handle being in a sealed box, and you'll miss the output in the lower bass response of an open/ported enclosure.

I'm still playing around with Polyfill for the SA-12, but i just can't seem to get the output of the E-series from the SA. I'm also struggling to get the output in depth that the E-10 has as well. I'm sure someone more qualified can go into the details of why that is.

Again SQ wise, the SA is near perfect. What I noticed most of all in my little set up is that when sealed, the SA-12 doesn't localise half as much as when ported if at all. Not saying you can here the SA up in the dash area, but It blends better and allows the speakers (Morel Tempo's) to do what they do best.

I'm still trying to make up my mind. I do want more boot/trunk space, and on the face of it, the E-series seems better suited to sealed enclosures. I don't really want to get rid of the SA-12, but for the sake of listening preferences, I'm leaning more towards the E-10 or E-12. That's not to say the E-Series doesn't do output, the E-10 does, but in the sealed box, I still feel in terms of output in depth and overall output, in a sealed box (as this project is) the E-10 is the better sub.

Thanks for your help so far.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 906 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...