magic8ball88 Posted April 23, 2013 Report Posted April 23, 2013 Long time lurker first time poster here. Love the community here so I figured you guys would be the best to ask for advice on my build. So I'm looking to upgrade the Bose system in my 2003 Yukon XL. I already have a headunit installed and a modest bass setup (going to be upgrading that soon too but that's another thread another day) and now I'm ready to upgrade my speakers. I want to spend somewhere around $300-500 excluding wiring. I've been looking at getting 6.5 inch Alpine Type S components in the front and back (That is assuming the rear doors have a spot for a tweeter, still haven't gotten a definite answer on this) and an Alpine 4 channel amp to power it. If I buy all of that from Sonic it comes to $450 but if I buy from Amazon its about $330. Thoughts? Thanks for reading.
GatiBeats Posted April 23, 2013 Report Posted April 23, 2013 I'd buy them from sonic just because I have had great customer service from them and they offer warranties that are as good as the manufacturer's on most items. If you buy from amazon you risk the warranty aspect. Which amp were you looking at? 06 pontiac grand prix alpine ida x100 rf t2 comps rf t1500, t400-2 knu 0 big 3 xs d3400 oct 11 tentatively: 2 obsidian 18 v2's
magic8ball88 Posted April 23, 2013 Author Report Posted April 23, 2013 I'd buy them from sonic just because I have had great customer service from them and they offer warranties that are as good as the manufacturer's on most items. If you buy from amazon you risk the warranty aspect. Which amp were you looking at? I wanted to match it with the MRX-F35. I don't think I'll buy from Sonic though. As much as I would like to, saving $120 is too hard to turn down. Do you have any other suggestions for a speaker/amp combo or are these good picks?
BoomZoom808 Posted April 24, 2013 Report Posted April 24, 2013 I would say if you want alpine spend the extra couple dollars and step up to the MRX-F65. You will be better off overpowering those comps slightly than running them at less than RMS. Especially in a large vehicle. Your ears will thank you. 2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS Knu OFC 1/0 SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750 Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5 IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12
magic8ball88 Posted April 24, 2013 Author Report Posted April 24, 2013 I would say if you want alpine spend the extra couple dollars and step up to the MRX-F65. You will be better off overpowering those comps slightly than running them at less than RMS. Especially in a large vehicle. Your ears will thank you. That's a good point. I've been wondering how I should wire these speakers to match the RMS. I wish the speakers were just 2 ohm so that I could match the 85 watts. The MRX-F65 would be crazy loud though wouldn't it? I don't know that I would ever get near the 55 watts per channel of the MRX-F35.
BoomZoom808 Posted April 24, 2013 Report Posted April 24, 2013 I wouldn't recommend running them at 2 ohms it could get louder but it opens the door for distortion because you will have less control over cone movement. Much more likely to damage the speakers at 2 ohms. It can be done but its not ideal. It could get loud with the MRX-F65 if you chose to turn it up and when you do it will have the potential to be more dynamic and controlled. 2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS Knu OFC 1/0 SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750 Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5 IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12
magic8ball88 Posted April 24, 2013 Author Report Posted April 24, 2013 I wouldn't recommend running them at 2 ohms it could get louder but it opens the door for distortion because you will have less control over cone movement. Much more likely to damage the speakers at 2 ohms. It can be done but its not ideal. It could get loud with the MRX-F65 if you chose to turn it up and when you do it will have the potential to be more dynamic and controlled. Okay that's good information thank you so much. The only four channel amp I've ever heard is the factory one in my Yukon. My Yukon is already plenty loud I just want to improve the sound quality. Like I said before I don't know how much power I actually want so do you think the MRX-F35 would be enough for me? I don't mind spending a little extra for the MRX-F65 if I need to but I don't want to if I don't have to. Also would that strain my electrical system? I plan on upgrading my subs also to around 1000-1200 watts so would my stock electrical system be able to handle both of those amps? I would prefer not to upgrade the electrical system.
BoomZoom808 Posted April 24, 2013 Report Posted April 24, 2013 It should work and sound fine on the F35 but will not sound as good as if you matched the power output to ratings closer. If you don't want to do the big 3 at the very least you will still need to upgrade your factory grounds to 4ga OFC or 0cca . I would also add an extra battery to CYA with at least 4ga OFC or 0cca front to back. 2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS Knu OFC 1/0 SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750 Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5 IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12
Watch the bass Posted April 26, 2013 Report Posted April 26, 2013 http://www.ebay.com/itm/AudioQue-TS-6-5-Component-Set-/251254620911?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item3a7ff142ef and they accept offer´s. "in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.