Carbon Fiber. Use this forum to show off your custom parts

A Supply List on needed parts to do Carbon Lay-up

Carbon Fiber- 2x2 twil thin ( 3.5 or 5 oz).

2 part Thin Epoxy resin - 3 to 1 ratio that cures clear and in about 3 hours

black pigment - To color the first hand of resin (Very Important)

.....all these items i get from CompositeEnvisions.com

the rest is :

clear buckets - for mixing

Foam and bristle brush - lots of them

rags

a Heat Gun - a must have

a small scale - to weigh in the mixing ratio

.... all these you can get at Home Depot

Sand Paper - All Grits ( 60 - 2000)

and a relatively small or medium piece - preferably as flat as possible.

And a quick Video of Procedure (More or Less)

• 1 month later...

So i pulled off the tapes, then sanded down the black (wet sand) with 1000 grit to eliminate orange peel and rough edges. Then i gave it a heavy coat of House of Kolors Intercoat Clear.

This is NOT Clear coat, it is a base coat that is clear and it is done to protect the paint job at the bottom so you can subsequently tape up again to do stripes or other colors. If you don't put a layer of protective clear base coat, when you lift off the tape it will pull off some of the bottom paint.

So you protect the bottom paint by putting a layer of clear base. Then you can sand, pin stripe, paint etc, without worrying about all the work you did underneath.

sill19.jpg

sill20.jpg

sill21.jpg

sill22.jpg

sill23.jpg

you really really need to make a video step by step man like asap please

REFF'S
My link
EBAY
http://feedback.ebay...ck&myworld=true
I love car audio so much because I will never be done. I can never win, and I will never get it finished or perfect. It always has me coming back for more, I can never get my fill of it, but I get what I need.

Okay so i Wet Sand the Intercoat clear which is clear base coat with 1000 grit sandpaper, putting very little preasure just to flatten it down and carefull not to cut into the paint. But if i/you do, just a touch of the black base coat applied with an air brush will do just fine to fix troubled areas. harbor freight sells one for $20.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

once ive got all sanded down and troubled areas taken care of. i applied the stencils of the Transformers language on the top part and taped up everything else that needed covering so that i can apply the purple pearl over it. the stencils are made at a sign shop and it's made of vinyl where i can take off the positive and apply the negative side on the piece.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Now that the stencils are applied, the whole piece is covered and only the letters are visible. I take my mixture of purple pearl and apply 2 to 3 coats using a small HVLP gun with a 1.4 tip and no filter inside to let the pearl flow through. After about 10 to 20 minutes, i remove all the tape and stencils and cover up the area with the carbon fiber again so that i can apply the purple pearl on the black base coat.

sill10.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

Then i remove the tape to expose the carbon fiber areas and the stenciled letters i just did and give it a very heavy wet coat of clear coat over the entire piece.

11.jpg

13.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

and once the clear coat is fully cured, i will sand her down again smooth and do the little red line around the carbon fiber areas but that will be another day.

Hope you enjoyed my update(s)

make a video on a simple piece????

I hear you man, but i don't have video equipment or video editing software. Only a Samsung Galaxy S3 that makes mediocre vids by small run time(s). Kinda like the vid i made on my Door Panel.

And that was pretty much all the inspiration I needed to get to work!!

Amazing work! Thank you!!!!

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/