Sundown Audio

Advice on amp gain, ssl ev5000d on 2 obsidian 18 v2 d4's??

plex_love

Ok so i bought 2 18 obsidian v2 d4's from a guy who just bought them and wouldnt fit in his ride, i gave $100 a pop for em, and bought an ssl ev5000d amp for next to nothing as well. Now i know ssl isnt a great amp so no need to tell me lol but im wanting to set my gain on it so i dont blow the subs. The amp claims its 3500 watts rms at 1ohm (my subs are ran 1ohm) but im sure its not that much but i know its putting out a decent amount of power. I have 4 gauge wire ran and had an 80 amp fuse and it blew after about 10 seconds of running it. I put the 175 amp fuse that came with the amp in and no problems so far. I will be upgrading to 0 gauge today as well as doing the big 3 upgrade. Also have a 250 amp alt on order cuz when it hits my voltage drops from 14v to about 9v within a matter of seconds! (also getting an extra battery as well)

So from what i read i need to know my max rms in order to set gains properly? But idk how to find that on a cheap amp because they are all overrated!

Also, has anyone else ran the 18 obsidians? I have an avalanche and have them built into my midgate in a 13.2 cube box tuned to 28hz and they absolutely CRUSH the lows! They put my 15 sundowns to shame! But they are rated at 600 rms and im wondering if they would be able to handle a clean 1000 each? Because ive read a lot of review on the amp and everyone is saying it pushes round 2500 rms at 1 ohm.

So any help on how i could adjust my gain with a dmm so i dont blow these would be greatly appreciated! THanks

I'm love bbc

Ur max rims is irrelevant if it crrates a square wave u need to.find someone with a dd-1 or o scope near you to set ur gains especially with that amp....there's a thread on here with a list of ppl that have them.someone may be local to u

Ur max rims is irrelevant if it crrates a square wave u need to.find someone with a dd-1 or o scope near you to set ur gains especially with that amp....there's a thread on here with a list of ppl that have them.someone may be local to u

Do you have a link to that list? im in the springfield mo area. by ear it sounds great, not a bit of distortion but then again as loud as it is its kinda hard to tell really, so yeah i would like to get someone who knows what they are doing to set it up. I know its not an expensive system but it sure sounds that way so id def like to keep it up and running lol!

I'm love bbc

Archived