Question on hooking up an 8105D

I'm putting in a Kenwood 500w amp in my friends car, it's nothing big, he doesn't like a ton of bass. I have a quick question though I want to ask before I do what I plan on. The power wire connections on the amp are too small for the size wire I'm using (4 gauge, with the ring terminals). So I was thinking of using a distribution block I had laying around that accepts 4 gauge wire comin' in, two 60 amp fuses, and 2 8 gauge wires coming out the other end. Then connecting the two 8 gauge wires onto the + on the amp. Is there any problem with doing this that I don't know about?

I know way bigger amps have 2 0awg inputs, but they need them. This is just a Kenwood.

You are trying to twist a pair of 8ga wires together to put in the amp?

2 8 gauge = 1 4ga just FYI. That wouldn't get you anywhere.

And what do you mean using 4ga with ring terminals?

I'm putting in a Kenwood 500w amp in my friends car, it's nothing big, he doesn't like a ton of bass. I have a quick question though I want to ask before I do what I plan on. The power wire connections on the amp are too small for the size wire I'm using (4 gauge, with the ring terminals). So I was thinking of using a distribution block I had laying around that accepts 4 gauge wire comin' in, two 60 amp fuses, and 2 8 gauge wires coming out the other end. Then connecting the two 8 gauge wires onto the + on the amp. Is there any problem with doing this that I don't know about?

I know way bigger amps have 2 0awg inputs, but they need them. This is just a Kenwood.

Best thing to do is use 4 gauge spades. Otherwise cleanest and most efficient option is getting some 4 gauge reducers to fit into that flat terminal(may be hard to find).

Welcome to the world of kenwood, where the label says "accepts 4ga wire" and it does in fact not accept 4ga wire.

I ran 4ga to my 9105d, pretty much same amp, and i used 4ga spade terminals. But, here is the kicker, i had to sand down the outside edges before they would fit. I'm sorry you have to deal with crap like this. There is no good excuse.

You are trying to twist a pair of 8ga wires together to put in the amp?

2 8 gauge = 1 4ga just FYI. That wouldn't get you anywhere.

And what do you mean using 4ga with ring terminals?

Naw, I was trying to fit 2 8 gauge wires on there using these guys:

gr_2.jpg

I wanted to use 4 gauge wire, but the + on the amp isn't big enough to fit it with one of those on there.

Run to car toys or something and see if their 4ga spade terminals fit

http://www.cartoys.com/products/product.cfm/Stinger/Stinger_SPT5124_Terminals

You can get them with different sized forks so they fit your amp

Archived