Second Skin Audio

could someone please spare 5 mins to look at these figures :)

TUNES

id really be grateful if someone could look at some measurements and just say whether all looks good or if ive made a mistake as i dont want anyone doing the hard work and want to learn myself :)

i want to build a box that will be 10.8 cuft for 6 jbl 1214 12" subwoofers, this is a boot build

the measurements for the box i have are

height 19"

width 39.5"

depth top 27"

depth bottom 39"

which should give me 11.44 cuft

port height 8"

port width 10"

vent length 15"

should be 27hz and box area of 0.69 cuft

so in total boz should be 10.74 cuft with a tuning of 27hz

am i right lol

It all looks dead on to me. How come you chose a 27 hz tuning?

[sharedmedia=garage:vehicles:2223]

CAFForumSig_zps376518ed.jpg?t=1364077982

SD, thank for the input. I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

hey buddy, the subs have a free air resonance of 28hz plus i was told it was a good frequency to play 20,30,40hz at levelish numbers

would you recommend a different number?

I think that number would be good. I just wast sure what you're trying to achieve sound wise but I'm assuming you want a musical setup? If so you're on the right track! I think I would try to design the port to be removable that way you can adjust the tuning if necessary. If you have any questions just let me know!

[sharedmedia=garage:vehicles:2223]

CAFForumSig_zps376518ed.jpg?t=1364077982

SD, thank for the input. I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

well tbh id like to for music and bass demos so thought 27 would be an ok middle of the road tuning

im still in 2 minds to downsize the box slightly and just put 4 in as didnt take into account room for amps and also got a xbox 360 going in lol

what sort of db would i lose roughly?

A bunch of numbers that match up is not enough to say if a box is going to work. Not saying what vehicle or a sketch of the box, or what amp. For example 80 square inches of port area is a joke for 6 12s.

like i said i was here for advice :)

the amps are jbl 14001 and i have 2 with a possibility to purchase a 3rd if needed but may just stick with 2 amps and 4 12" subs

the vehicle is a passat b5.5 estate or wagon in the us

The first thing you want is to figure out how the subs are going to be wired, the subs are SVC 4 ohm and the amp is only stable at 2 ohm, with 2 amps you can only wire 4 subs and get a 2 ohm load to each AND then the amp source 1500W to the pair, the subs are 350 RMS each so it's too much amp for those subs.

If you picked 600W RMS subs then amp and subs would match.

On the port area, the subs need 1.75-2 cubes per sub, so let's go by the 12-16 rule, 1.75 x 6 x 12 = 126 square inches of port minimum.

the subs can take nearly triple their rated power as i already have 2 sucking 800wrms each and have been fine for a year now so thats why in this car i was going with 6 subs and 3 amps or downsize to 2 amps and 4 subs

Archived