Second Skin Audio

1 12 or 2 12's

Hi there I'm going to be installing my 12 inch hertz hx 300 sub next weekend and just thought I'd get some other opinions as well before I go to the hassle of making a box. The sub is 600 watts RMS single 4 ohm, and the amp I have is an Audison Voce 5.1k that pushes 600 watts @ 4 ohm and 1000 watts @ 2 ohm. My question being, I listen to mostly rap and I really like the low end that rap has to offer, is one sub going to give me what I want or should I go out and get another one? I have 2 12's now but they are dual 4 ohm voice coil so when wired together they are at 4 ohm and each sub is 600 watts RMS; so this wasn't working so well for me. I just don't want to build a nice box and have it not be what I want. Also if I get another sub, 1000 watts should be enough to power two of them efficiently right?

Any insight is appreciated, thank you.

Do you have room for the proper box if you have two of them? If yes, it will definitely be louder with 2.

If you are comparing them in different size boxes, or 1 ported vs 2 sealed, then need more information to make a GUESS.

If you are going to put two subs in a box that is too small vs 1 in the correct box, stick with 1.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

I've got the room, I'm running a ported 4.5 cubic foot box now. I just want to make sure that if I get another sub I don't put a lot of strain on my amp like I am now by only pushing 600 watts to 2 subs that require that a piece haha

If the amp is rated to handle two ohms, then it should not hurt anything. . .

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Alright perfect! that's the route I'm going the subs say they want about 1.2 cubes per sub tuned to 40hz. If I give them like 1.5 and tune the box to 35hz (so it will hit the lows better) will that be alright as well?

Thanks again for all the info.

Archived