Upgrading iMac's GPU

So I like playing my pc games and my gpu in my computer is not performing up to par. I am of course running boot camp for windows. I would want to be able to just upgrade my gpu so I don't have to go through the trouble of selling the mac to build my own rig. I don't care at all if the gpu is compatible with OSX since it don't use it, but I am worried that launching through boot camp might present some problems in launching the computer. The current card is a 6970m and would possibly be upgrading to either 7970m or hopefully see what nVidea has to offer for decent prices and possibly same mounting positions.

Anyone have any incite into this? Also I do realize that selling and building another computer would possibly be easier, but I don't think I could get enough money out of it anymore to get a decent rig along with another 1440p monitor. I will be looking into prices I can get components for to see if I can get a sizable upgrade while retaining a 1440p monitor.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

You may be able to upgrade the GPU by taking the iMac apart and replacing the 6970m but I can't guarantee it would work and wouldn't even suggest trying. I can only assume, having never taken one apart, that the graphics card in the 2011 iMac is using an MXM interface like the 2009 iMac and most high-end laptop GPUs use. There are a lot of potential issues with attempting this, though. The downside is that you're stuck buying a 7970m MXM card from somewhere like eBay for $550+ and then tasked with disassembling the iMac to replace the card, which I can't even guarantee would fit properly. iFixIt can help with the disassembly of the iMac but I can't even begin to guess whether the heatsink for the 6970m would fit the 7970m properly. They're both 100W parts so you wouldn't have any issues there, assuming it fits. I don't have a clue where to point you to get Mac drivers for a 7000 series mobility card, as Apple switched over to Nvidia this last generation and didn't touch the 7000 series from AMD. Apple may auto-install them similar to how Windows or Ubuntu would? I'm not sure. You may have better luck with a Nvidia chip on an MXM card. It's anyone's guess, to be honest.

iFixIt's page for your iMac: http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_Intel_27%22_EMC_2429

IMO save up and build a PC! :)

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

You may be able to upgrade the GPU by taking the iMac apart and replacing the 6970m but I can't guarantee it would work and wouldn't even suggest trying. I can only assume, having never taken one apart, that the graphics card in the 2011 iMac is using an MXM interface like the 2009 iMac and most high-end laptop GPUs use. There are a lot of potential issues with attempting this, though. The downside is that you're stuck buying a 7970m MXM card from somewhere like eBay for $550+ and then tasked with disassembling the iMac to replace the card, which I can't even guarantee would fit properly. iFixIt can help with the disassembly of the iMac but I can't even begin to guess whether the heatsink for the 6970m would fit the 7970m properly. They're both 100W parts so you wouldn't have any issues there, assuming it fits. I don't have a clue where to point you to get Mac drivers for a 7000 series mobility card, as Apple switched over to Nvidia this last generation and didn't touch the 7000 series from AMD. Apple may auto-install them similar to how Windows or Ubuntu would? I'm not sure. You may have better luck with a Nvidia chip on an MXM card. It's anyone's guess, to be honest.

iFixIt's page for your iMac: http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_Intel_27%22_EMC_2429

IMO save up and build a PC! :)

I've just decided to go to 1080p monitor with a 7950. I've already got a potential buyer for it. Selling for $1500 and I can get a nice 4670k. I have just been trying to avoid the fact I don't have the income to support 1440p gaming. And it's easy to just buy a monitor and add another gpu in the future. I can put in a little more than selling price and get the H100i.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Archived