Second Skin Audio

Bigger box = better lows?

I could be wrong but the smaller the box the more box rise u get I believe, an the bigger the box the less rise u get. An there are some subs that need big boxes to perform at their best. I have 2 HDC3 12s in a 5.4 cubic ft box. An they LOVE it!! But those subs are known to need big boxes

Please don't bring "rise" into this conversation. :)

Bigger box = Bigger hump at tuned frequency.

This is not a good statement. The hump will depend on box size, tuning frequency, and driver t/s parameters.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

I never have luck bringing WinISD screenshots in the picture. Always get puzzled looks. Then again I wouldn't expect a question like this from you Mr. Rection.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

I could be wrong but the smaller the box the more box rise u get I believe, an the bigger the box the less rise u get. An there are some subs that need big boxes to perform at their best. I have 2 HDC3 12s in a 5.4 cubic ft box. An they LOVE it!! But those subs are known to need big boxes

Please don't bring "rise" into this conversation. :)

Bigger box = Bigger hump at tuned frequency.

This is not a good statement. The hump will depend on box size, tuning frequency, and driver t/s parameters.

For people just learning about this, statements like this are appropriate to make. When they make it up to your "level", then you can dispel myths about it.

It's like the argument of minimum impedance. Amp 'A' is rated down to 1 ohm. You run it at .5. You wouldn't dare advise a noob to run at .5, even though it's possible... unless you just wanted to watch his shit blow up. You'd tell him 1 ohm because he doesn't understand the things you need to know about running so low, like rise.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Statements like that are not appropriate, because they are not always true.

The "hump" is not from the box size - it is based on the box size vs. tuning frequency vs. the driver used. Saying bigger boxes have a bigger "hump" is just not a good statement. Next thing you know, everyone is on this forum is quoting that statement like it is a law to live by. . .

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Archived