1999 Chevrolet Blazer - Stereo Integrity, Ground Zero, Soundstream

I would recone the sub to an 18 with better soft parts and try the same box to see how it works.

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

any sub can be built into a PR

I have sub up, PR inverted firing backward. 2 18s and 2 18 PRs

I also don't have enough come area for PRs, but have some high excursion PRs and ideas being worked on.

I plan on doing a big write up on PRs once I finish my door panels and am at a stopping point

And you don't have any problems around tuning?

I actually did a write-up, titled "Passive Radiators and You". Maybe you can just add to that? All good if you wanna start a new one though.

Problems being...?

I did have some over excursion issues when I tuned to 20hz and played full tilt.

Now i keep it at full weight tuning and it plays 3-4db higher from 25-50 across the board.

That being said, if I were to ever rebuild, I would do double the cone area. I think 2 18s and 8 12 PRs would be awesome. Sub up, PR back.

Yes I have a lot of stereo weight. I build for Smiles Per Gallon not Miles Per Gallon LOLZ

My build - 1996 4Runner with 2 18s - 149+ in a sealed box (with radiators)

0a4ee87c-28c8-4bf8-9dfe-5a06b9dea2dc_zps

3e3eb9dd-70f8-4424-ad11-ccebcd929ac4_zps

any sub can be built into a PR

I have sub up, PR inverted firing backward. 2 18s and 2 18 PRs

I also don't have enough come area for PRs, but have some high excursion PRs and ideas being worked on.

I plan on doing a big write up on PRs once I finish my door panels and am at a stopping point

And you don't have any problems around tuning?

I actually did a write-up, titled "Passive Radiators and You". Maybe you can just add to that? All good if you wanna start a new one though.

Problems being...?

I did have some over excursion issues when I tuned to 20hz and played full tilt.

Now i keep it at full weight tuning and it plays 3-4db higher from 25-50 across the board.

That being said, if I were to ever rebuild, I would do double the cone area. I think 2 18s and 8 12 PRs would be awesome. Sub up, PR back.

Excursion problems. I sure did and I had a larger ratio than you.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

Honestly, we were probably the two loudest PR setups ever haha

I am working with Dave on some fancy design ideas to give another 1" of excursion.
I'll let you know how that goes, but back to your thread...

Yes I have a lot of stereo weight. I build for Smiles Per Gallon not Miles Per Gallon LOLZ

My build - 1996 4Runner with 2 18s - 149+ in a sealed box (with radiators)

0a4ee87c-28c8-4bf8-9dfe-5a06b9dea2dc_zps

3e3eb9dd-70f8-4424-ad11-ccebcd929ac4_zps

Honestly, we were probably the two loudest PR setups ever haha

I am working with Dave on some fancy design ideas to give another 1" of excursion.

I'll let you know how that goes, but back to your thread...

PSI Dave? He told me he had some big ass setups with PRs too. I can't remember exactly what though. But interested in what you guys come up with. I know Murphy over at Tantric can build some pretty high excursion PRs, and he's got 21" and 24" (the 24's have like 95mm+ of p-p travel, talk about Vd) top assemblies at his disposal, so that might be worth looking into as well for you. Unfortunately I'm pretty positive I won't be going with PRs for this next build, just not enough space to do large PRs and too expensive to do 4 15 PRs.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

Gonna do the trade for a pair of 15" blacktop TRF/SHD hybrids. Sub up/port passenger side. Not for another month and a half though, so I've got a little time.

Trying to plan for the new box for the TRFs. Port side, going to use a 12" Sonotube. What I don't know is what flares to use.

I think I wanna test out some theories in the white paper here: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188594-you-may-be-kerfing-all-wrong/?hl=%20you%20%20may%20%20kerfing%20%20all%20%20wrong

And if so, a large radius flare on the inside and a small radius on the outside is what I'll be doing. What exact sizes, I don't know. I'm thinking 3" radius minimum for the inside, up to 6". For the outside, maybe 1"?

Any thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

So, TRFs aren't happening anymore. Other guy cancelled the trade, which is ok since we didn't really have anything firm. I've got other threads about sub/amount choices, but the end game is a pair of the new Sundowns that will be coming out (http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/192901-new-bun-in-the-oven-i-need-some-info/?hl=%2Bbun+%2Bthe+%2Boven#entry2886067). It will be a while before those are released though, so I've got to find something in the meantime. Two top choices right now:

- Four 12" Creative Sounds SDX12s. They should sound really good.

- Two 15" Tantric Sounds HDDs. These would be very custom, with linear spiders, an underhung coil, and possibly full CF cone. Would sound really good too. AND, I wouldn't have to build a new box for the Sundowns, which is a huge plus in my mind right now.

SHD is on CL right now, so I've got some time to decide until that sells.

Outside of that, my left tweeter has been cutting out. I know it's the amp, because I can tap the amp or crank the bass and it will come back on, then randomly cut off again. It's been going out more and more though, I'll have to pull it soon and send it back in for repair. Sucks, but shit happens.

Archived