Sundown Audio

Amplifier went in protect mode 1 time finally after weeks no problems.

wowfun2

Most strange thing ever happened today I was cruising at reasonable volume not to get any attention although you could still hear me in your own car. So.. anyway just tonight I was heading home from work I was playing deep hard hitting songs from Decaf zip 32 it not all pure bass just big hick-ups bass songs first time playing those and then suddenly my bass just poof disappeared so I pulled over and pull my seat down and I saw my amp light is blue but the red triangle isn't on which means my amp is in protect mode. I was hoping it could come back on without forcing restarting the car.. however it didn't so I had to restart the car and amp came back on normal and I tested it at high volume with different song called White Girl which has more insane nasty low hertz just to make sure isn't the grounding...and it not, still bumping at loud volume.

I just don't understand why did this one time went into protect mode. The amp is not hot/cool/warm the grounding is perfect solid and scrap paint off and the voltage is just right on my gain settings.

Just for your information.. I haven't had a protect mode for 5 or 6 weeks until tonight just one time!!!

Now I know one time is nothing but I would like to know what could cause it.

The amp I'm using is Kenwood 9105D 1800W before you go hating on that amp or amp cause that problem... but it doesn't I'm happy with that amp for now until I'm getting new system build next year.. someday.

2 12 Kickers CVR | Kenwood 9105D @ 2 Ohms | Box tuned 39 hertz low custom | Nissan Maxima 01 SE 3.5 | I have no idea what my dB at :shrug:

"If you hear me Booming around the block then you better be prepared to call the police on me before I drive-by your house!" :roflmao: :asskiss:

"Boom cars so goddamn loud it ridiculous, hey excuse me what about your fartcan back of your car vroom, vroom!" :crazy:

What are you wired at? What subs?

2003 GMC Yukon Denali

Alpine CDA 117

Redoing Mids/Highs

4 Runs of 1/0 Knukonceptz 2+, 2-

4 Deka 9A31's in back (Stock underhood) 250 amp Alt.

AQ20K

2 18" Crossfire XS V.2's 12 cubes 33hz 149sq inches of port!

What are you wired at? What subs?

Oh.. right I forgot I'm running @ 2 Ohms 2 12 Kickers CVR

2 12 Kickers CVR | Kenwood 9105D @ 2 Ohms | Box tuned 39 hertz low custom | Nissan Maxima 01 SE 3.5 | I have no idea what my dB at :shrug:

"If you hear me Booming around the block then you better be prepared to call the police on me before I drive-by your house!" :roflmao: :asskiss:

"Boom cars so goddamn loud it ridiculous, hey excuse me what about your fartcan back of your car vroom, vroom!" :crazy:

I ask because you could be wired to the right impedance but certain frequencies which cause box rise, and other frequencies could go lower then nominal impedance.

2003 GMC Yukon Denali

Alpine CDA 117

Redoing Mids/Highs

4 Runs of 1/0 Knukonceptz 2+, 2-

4 Deka 9A31's in back (Stock underhood) 250 amp Alt.

AQ20K

2 18" Crossfire XS V.2's 12 cubes 33hz 149sq inches of port!

I ask because you could be wired to the right impedance but certain frequencies which cause box rise, and other frequencies could go lower then nominal impedance.

I'm playing at 30 hertz frequencies but my head-unit subwoofer setup says 80 hertz for some reason.. :/

I am guessing you use a Multimeter and turned the gain until you hit a certain voltage right?

If that is true, can you tell us what voltage you set the gain to?

I believe I set it at 48.9 voltage to adjusted the gain settings with the 40hz test tone.

48.9 seems a bit random for a voltage. Lets say you you have no box rise, that would put you at 1200 watts @ 2ohms.

Only thing i can say is your gain might be too high. Of course, if it's going into protect but not getting hot then it could just be a bad ground. I know you said you sanded down to bare metal, but where is the location that you grounded too? What size wire are you running to the amp?

Another question i have, are you sure you are at 2ohm? do you have the D2 or D4 cvrs? and how are they wired? you can double check easy enough by just using your dmm with the amp off.

Sorry about all the questions, but to diagnose we need a lot of info so we can troubleshoot.

My grounding is located on back seat bare metal after fold seat down, bottom of the seat. I'm running 4 gauge by Knuzconcept for now until I'm planning on getting 0 gauge for new system someday.

My system is Dual Voice coil at 2 Ohms CVRS. I'm not sure how it wired... what do you mean how I can check by using my dmm with my amp off?

Don't worry mate the more questions the more easier helps.

Sorry i am slow to reply, I have meetings and stuff at work all the time so i don't get to the computer much.

All you have to do is set your DMM to ohms, the horseshoe looking thing, and just put the red lead to positive and the black lead to negative.

(edit:) of the speaker terminals on the amp. With it off of course.

I am concerned about your ohm load because i have seen quite a few people mistake the two + and - outputs as seperate channels.

I just want to go over your wiring to double check it first.

Here is what i am thinking, since you have 2 dual 2 ohm subs, you can either wire each sub to 4ohms or 1 ohm. Now if you wire each to 1 ohm and just hooked each to its own + and - on the amp, that would put you at .5 ohms. That would be bad for that amp.

So, i need a clear description of how you are wired up as far as your subs go. The easy way to check is like i said above using your multimeter.

If you have each sub on its own + and -, check each sub with the amp off and let me know what you get for readings. If they are all wired to just one set of + and -, just check it and tell us what that is.

you can disconnect the subs from the amp if you want or you arent sure about doing it that way.

Hopefully i'm not being confusing here, but anyway. Let us know what you get for reading and also, let us know how you have the terminals on the subs wired if you know.

Archived