Sundown Audio

Focal Amp soft clip shutting off my tweets/highs?

probillygun

I bought a new Focal FPS 4160 amp and hooked it up to my CDT mids and highs in the front of my vehicle. I have a CDT 6x9 componet set with an additional imaging tweeter and CDT 3" midrange and 2" mid tweet. Everything is paralled so I'm thinking its about a 1.7 ohm load per channel. The amp is running bridged stereo and sounds great, up until about mid volume and when I go slightly past that my tweeters start shutting off. When I turn the volume back down they come back on and sounds great again....I also tried it in 4 channel non bridged mode and the same thing happens.

I then tried connecting a home audio set of book shelf MB quart 4 ohm speakers up to see if there was an ohm load issue or if it was a crossover issue with the CDT's cutting my highs and sure enough the book shelf MB quart speaker tweeters also cut out at the same volume! so I'm thinking this Focal amp is cutting back the higher frequencies because I can still hear the midrange strong. The manual says it has soft clip protect but why is it cutting my highs when they arent even very loud at all???

Is there a way I can bypass the protection circuitry if this is what is happening? Its a brand new Focal amp so I might send it back under warranty to see if there is anything wrong with it...

Thoughts? Advice?

Archived