Second Skin Audio

help my find an 18 in sub

To me 2 1/2 inch coil is not big enough for a 18inch sub. I won't buy one again

we are talking about running 400 watts here. under what premise should a 2.5" coil be a deal breaker at 400 watts? im am very interested in an informed response.
ok you go buy one if you don't like what I'm saying and fucking prove me wrong! It's not the coil that's the issue but the cone. I've got 3 of obsidians 12s all the can take triple the power there rated for. But the 18s do not perform well with a coil that small . You my friend have issues! I've seen all your dumb ass post an topics for years . So I doubt people will listen to much you have to say. I've ran these subs recently so I think I know what I'm saying. Like I said buy one and see for your self if you doubt what I'm telling you!

To me 2 1/2 inch coil is not big enough for a 18inch sub. I won't buy one again

we are talking about running 400 watts here. under what premise should a 2.5" coil be a deal breaker at 400 watts? im am very interested in an informed response.
ok you go buy one if you don't like what I'm saying and fucking prove me wrong! It's not the coil that's the issue but the cone. I've got 3 of obsidians 12s all the can take triple the power there rated for. But the 18s do not perform well with a coil that small . You my friend have issues! I've seen all your dumb ass post an topics for years . So I doubt people will listen to much you have to say. I've ran these subs recently so I think I know what I'm saying. Like I said buy one and see for your self if you doubt what I'm telling you!

so you start by saying a 2.5" coil is too small for an 18 inch woofer. then you say the coil is not the problem, the cone is. then you validate this statement by saying that you have 3 obsidian 12's that can take triple rms power.

you my friend, have discovered the secret of dividing by zero.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

If he buys em a runs bellow rated power there probly going to be clipped an over heat faster than they would on say 1,000rns . Too much mass not enough coil! Probly why no one eles produces an 18 with 2.5 coil. This is my thoughts on this sub . You can take it or leave it. And also hugh have you done a system with these?

How's it perform? Lmao I'm not bashing obsidian but those subs to me! Are not worth the price . I would go with there 15s or 12s not there 18s . Maybe this guy will have better luck pushing a 18 inch cone with a wimpy 2.5 coil lol but I doubt it.

Hold on here, Isn't saying a 2.5" coil is too small for an 18" cone the same as the old argument about how 18's vs 10's? Like how people say 18's are sloppy and 10's have tighter bass response and so on.

Is the difference of a few grams of weight going to really make that much difference?

Really the coils size isn't that big of a factor, you have to take into account the whole picture. T/S parameters are more important, if someone could show real math using the t/s of the obsidian 18 and prove it is a flawed design then i may be convinced.

I say this because i have seen lots and lots of 18" speakers like in home audio cabinets and such that are like 250 or 150 watts and they work just fine. I'm pretty sure those old 18's from the 90's home audio don't have 3" or bigger coils.

And for the guy who asked about a cheap 18 , I'm simply telling the guy my thoughts on these subs. Not to be plucked apart by the forum mouth! And I will say it again for the slow people like hugh! The coils not the issue other than the fact it's trying to push a massive cone. Take that for what it's worth or don't! I don't care ether way but when your disappointed dont say hey bigdee did say this on that thread?

Archived