DC Sound Lab

175.4 randomly going into protect for a second and then back out

Well this is by far a strange issue I am facing with my 175.4. Basically my amp will be at full volume and my sub will be at 1/4 of where I can set the knob for the remote control and the 175.4 will have a solid green power light and the protect light will come on for a second, the music will stop coming out of the mids and highs and then come back on. And its totally random when it happens!

I first thought that maybe since the amp was mounted to the box that it broke something free from it as this problem only happens when my sub is playing at a pretty loud level. So I took the amp off the box and held it on my lap and played some more music and it still would go into protect at random but only when the bass would drop.

I then tried to unhook the amp from the power and check all the connections for any resistance or a half blown fuse and it all tested just fine. 0 resistance in the power and ground and the fuse was fine and I even swapped a fuse with another new one I have laying around but the problem was still there.

Then I disconnected all the mids and highs from the amp and played some more music but this time the protect light never came on at all. Then I tried to connect just the mids on channel 3+4 and it randomly went into protect. So then I connected just the highs to channel 1+2 and it went into protect at random.

I checked the resistance of the mids and they are at 2 ohms like it should be and the tweeters are at 3 ohms.

The power with the engine off is at 12.78v solid and at full tilt it gets to 12.68v. The power is at 14.8v with the engine running and goes to 14.4v at full tilt. The amp is also barely warm, more like lukewarm so its not a voltage or thermal protect issue.

I ripped the back cover off the amp to check for any loose connections, blown fets, burnt resistors, broken buss bars and nothing is broken! There is no smoke from where the fets are, the buss bars are all intact and all the solder joints are still rock solid.

WTF is going on with this? I had a problem back where when I had the tweeters on channel 3+4 they would randomly get a lower volume and then shoot back up and go back down again so to fix that I just put my tweeters on channel 1+2. Do you think I have a bad amp or something?

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress