Second Skin Audio

my new sealed sub box sound too boomy?!, Fix?

It's 30"x 10" x 40" but I already mentioned the internal volume per sub. Not sure why you want external dimensions....???

I imagine 40 wide 30 deep 10 tall, still not saying what generation are the subs and what wood thickness you used, anyways assuming you used 0.75" wood your gross volume would be 5.397 cubic feet BUT you didn't figure displacements so assuming those are SWR-1043 then your net internal volume is just 4.652 cubic feet or about 0.58 cubes per sub. Also hope you are not bass boosting, using loudness or any other forgot setting elsewhere. Did you check polarity to be correct in all subs?

Since you almost built a wall with that box I would suggest testing it it subs facing forward and see how it does.

It's 30"x 10" x 40" but I already mentioned the internal volume per sub. Not sure why you want external dimensions....???

I imagine 40 wide 30 deep 10 tall, still not saying what generation are the subs and what wood thickness you used, anyways assuming you used 0.75" wood your gross volume would be 5.397 cubic feet BUT you didn't figure displacements so assuming those are SWR-1043 then your net internal volume is just 4.652 cubic feet or about 0.58 cubes per sub. Also hope you are not bass boosting, using loudness or any other forgot setting elsewhere. Did you check polarity to be correct in all subs?

Since you almost built a wall with that box I would suggest testing it it subs facing forward and see how it does.

I had many multiple box design dimensions written down before the build, so I gave the wrong ones when you asked me... So Let me assure you I have .72 cubes per sub;

the total outside dimensions (used 3/4" MDF) are; 41" wide, 30" long and 11" high so thats 6.19 cubes net. subtract 8 (latest Generation) Alpine SWS-10D2s which are .32 cubes divided by 8 subs is .73 per sub, minus my bracing is: .72 cubes per sub as I originaly stated.

The EQ in head unit is flat (I have no other processors) and all subs were ohm'd out and correct loads to the amp. The are all firing in same direction at same time perfectly.

I was considering standing the box up like you said to eliminate some of the delay cause by the coils being at slightly different lenghts with subs all firing up, but really didnt want the box coming up over my seats obstruction my rear view.

I took out the 4 pounds of acoustistuff today and it helped it some, also I think the subs are breaking in which is also helping some....

Only thing left I can think of is somehow make the inside of the box smaller with Foam blocks? or something else thats light weight? Alpine website reccommends .5 cubes per sub but when I called them their techs told me to do them in .85 cubes per sub which is why I shot for something in the middle with .72 cubes per sub.

If the damping fails to solve the issue then move around the box and test it vertical even if you don't intend to use it like that, polyfill is the preferred damping material, also Dacron is used frequently.

Archived