Think I figured out wiring I need - input is appreciated!

Hey OP, the cap isn't a bad idea by default, but because you said that you don't want to upgrade your alt or battery, because of that I would say don't use the cap.

In the right setup, used properly they could help the electrical system, but in your case it sounds like it would just bog down your electrical even more.

Thanks for the info, in my previous car I used the cap with this equipment. But do you think that because I am not really running enough power to justify the cap? I feel like even though I'm only running 900-1400RMS (big max) it's still quite a bit (pushing limits maybe) for my stock electrical system

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)

Your stock electrical isn't producing enough power to be able to carry the cap. I assume you have a good idea of how the cap works. Once it discharges it has to recharge somehow, and it tries to do this rapidly when there is enough supply/demand of power. You will have the demand, but not the supply so it will pretty much just leach power from other stuff that your electrical system is powering.

Like you said, you are most likely pushing the limits already, I would leave the cap out, do your big 3 the right way and see how it works. Would I recommend an alternator upgrade, absolutely but you have already stated that you don't want to go that route.

yep I know exactly how the capacitors works, I'm actually a mechanical engineer, plus I've been doing this audio and customizing stuff for a while, although caps are a very controversial issue on the 'interwebz' :P I was looking more for personal experience, exactly like you are giving, to make my decision on whether to use the cap or not :D

As for the alternator upgrade, I'd rather tone down the gain of my sub slightly to pull less power than invest in a new alternator. The money spent on a new alt would be much better spent IMO on go-fast parts ;) the sound system build is really just for daily driving, SQ with a good punch, but to be honest I play my system low when there's anyone else in the car, and I also sometimes turn the system way down to hear the car itself rumble ;) lol

thanks again for the suggestions. I will go without the capacitor and see how it goes. Stage 1 is the 4-channel amp install, I still haven't bought the sub so I'lll just be rocking mids and highs for another month or two until I have more disposable cash for the sub (lowest I have found one for is $338 plus shipping and dut/tax comes to $415 total shipped to my door). But then again, I've ALWAYS wanted a GTI sub :D

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)

Nice. I look at everything as to each their own, and yeah if you'd rather go fast then hey, it's all about what you prefer. Try it with and without the cap and see what you like best.

Nice. I look at everything as to each their own, and yeah if you'd rather go fast then hey, it's all about what you prefer. Try it with and without the cap and see what you like best.

Will do! I love a well-balanced car I.E. decent sound system, fun to drive, nice aesthetics. I will make a build thread once I finish stage 1 of the install. Thanks again for the information everyone!!

ALRIGHT so small update! Also bit the bullet and ordered the JBL P662 speakers tonight to go in my rear doors :D I now have everything needed to do my mids and highs, and all I'm missing is to order W10GTI sub to complete the whole build. I will start a build thread soon as my wiring and rear speakers arrive. Fronts already installed last weekend, they sound decent off the head unit but knowing how good they sound on my amp, I'm anxious to get the stuff and install it :P

Thanks again all who helped me out with my questions. For updates on my build, I have started a build thread here;

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/173212-bboytaktixs-2011-subaru-sti-modest-sq-build/

Archived